Beer Mug Cake Crashed And Cracked

Decorating By Cosima Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 5:06am by Cosima

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:27am
post #1 of 5

My son's birthday cake and what a joke it was. Even with dowels in it, it fell. I used a box cake that said it had pudding in the mix. Well does that mean it's going to make it denser? Either way it fell and it was falling before my candy went on it.

Oh and I can't seem to get the fondant on the cake without the buttercream coming out the bottom. What would I be doing wrong there? I'm making cakes now just practice on my fondants. Any suggestions?

4 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:44am
post #2 of 5

Yeah... a straight box mix (even with pudding in the mix) isn't going to be very sturdy at all. Best to use an extender recipe with it or a scratch cake... that will help all the doo dads stay in place and not shift around on you.

It's a cute cake though! Is that whipped egg whites/meringue you used for the "foam"?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:50am
post #3 of 5

Tell us more about the dowels, please. How were they placed? Is there a dowel that goes into the can and did it rip out the side? With more info, we may be able to diagnose what went wrong.

As far as buttercream coming out from under the fondant, it is most likely too much buttercream on the cake. I've had it happen several times and it's frustrating.

Cosima Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:58am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

It's a cute cake though! Is that whipped egg whites/meringue you used for the "foam"?

Thanks, I tried. And yes that's whipped egg whites/meringue. That came out perfect for foam of beer.

Cosima Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:06am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Tell us more about the dowels, please. How were they placed? Is there a dowel that goes into the can and did it rip out the side? With more info, we may be able to diagnose what went wrong.

As far as buttercream coming out from under the fondant, it is most likely too much buttercream on the cake. I've had it happen several times and it's frustrating.

Well the cake had three cake rounds stacked. Due to the size of the cake, I only put two dowels within. The candy dowel was placed at the very end after the candy was formed on it. It was at least three inches above the cake to look like liquid being poured into the mug. I know my mistake was I should of had the can with me and formed it on while the candy was still warm. That's why it broke :-/ But the cake falling.....I'm assuming cause the cake was not dense enough and it had all the decor on it.

I think you are right about the BC being too much. I haven't perfected the perfect BC application before the fondant application. After watching the Cake Boss Next Great Baker and seeing on of the guys try to apply BC perfectly and failed so badly, I kinda felt a little better. Being that these guys on the show have been doing it for so long and I'm just now starting out. Or then again maybe I should rethink this..... Will it take me that long to perfect it?

I also saw a video that you should have the BC pretty solid prior to the application so the cream doesn't escape from the bottom. I hear mixed reviews on that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%