Swiss Merengue Butter Cream

Decorating By Kaddi Updated 4 Jan 2013 , 5:03pm by SaraClassic

Kaddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaddi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #1 of 20

This could be the stupidest decorating question, ever, but can you use a NONcrusting icing under fondant? I can't find a crusting SMBC recipe, but I want to try it for a fondant cake.

19 replies
erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #2 of 20

yep, you can use SMBC under fondant - it works way better than a crusting buttercream, in my opinion.

Kaddi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #3 of 20

Ooooh yay!!!!! I have hell with regular buttercream.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 20

I love SMBC. In fact, when the legislature passes a law to allow it, I fully intend on taking that love to the next level and marrying it. icon_razz.gif

I have done regular (American) BC and find that the SMBC actually works better for me under fondant. And I find it easier to smooth if just doing a BC cake too. It's like the perfect BC.

Again, my love for it knows no bounds. I would bathe in it if I could! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Hmmm....no. That's too far.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:05am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaddi

This could be the stupidest decorating question, ever, but can you use a NONcrusting icing under fondant? I can't find a crusting SMBC recipe, but I want to try it for a fondant cake.

yup, used by top cake artists like ben ron-isreal - good enough for me!

good luck,

jen

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 20

Yup! I find that using it under fondant works better than the American buttercream. I love it and another of my fave is the French Vanilla buttercream; it's made with flour, granulated sugar, butter and heavy cream...taste like icecream. Does not do so well in Florida's humidity but I sneak it in when I can. Absolutely delish!!

Cheers!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 20

When using it under fondant, you need to chill it so it becomes firm otherwise it's a nightmare to cover when at room temp

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 20

I agree with everyone, it's the only BC I use. LisaPeps is right, chill it well before applying the fondant.

Kaddi Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:25am
post #9 of 20

Thanks for the replies! Can you flavor SMBC.....such as, adding orange extract to add to an orange dreamsicle cake?

cakeguypa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeguypa Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:47am
post #10 of 20

You can flavor SMBC with almost any kind of flavoring including extracts, liquers, chocolate.......the sky is the limit!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:10am
post #11 of 20

Hello,

Are there any good recipies for this type of butter cream. I have seen it made on tv. I tried it once and it came out kind of curdled. I can't describe how it came out but it wasnt frosting.

if there is some trick to it please let me know.. A recipie for it would be great to (please). or are all the same? I have several in cake books... but I have never looked to see if the instructions were the same, or the ingredients.

I have just stuck with ganache, and regular buttercream.

you can email me or pm me with any information if you want. thanks

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:57am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

Hello,

Are there any good recipies for this type of butter cream. I have seen it made on tv. I tried it once and it came out kind of curdled. I can't describe how it came out but it wasnt frosting.

if there is some trick to it please let me know.. A recipie for it would be great to (please). or are all the same? I have several in cake books... but I have never looked to see if the instructions were the same, or the ingredients.

I have just stuck with ganache, and regular buttercream.

you can email me or pm me with any information if you want. thanks

It's in my signature line, but I have my recipe, a full tutorial with photos, variations and lots of questions answered on my blog. I also have my cream cheese version in the recipe section here with full instructions and there is also a link to a long thread where even more questions are answered about it. check it out and let me know how it goes!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 20

I have to vouch for FromScratchSF's recipe. It's the best one I've tried and I've tried several. And it's now my go-to SMBC recipe. Thanks Jen!

delightfulsweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delightfulsweettreats Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 20

Have you ever substituted pasturized liquid egg whites instead of the powdered whites? Was curious if the end result would be the same.

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 20

I have recently made SMBC and I love it! However is there anyway to get it white in color? I have a bride that wants smbc but she wants a white iced cake??? Here is the recipe I used:

2 cups egg whites (I used the egg whites in the carton)
4 cups granulated sugar
10 sticks unsalted butter
2 tablespoons PURE vanilla (not the fake stuff, lol)

gretch77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gretch77 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 20

You can add white food coloring to it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 20

If my SMBC cake will not be covered in fondant, and they definitely want white, I ice the outside with vanilla free SMBC. I actually like it with nothing added at all. I'll use the vanilla loaded icing inside though.

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for the answers icon_smile.gif I will try white food coloring in my next test batch.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 8:21am
post #19 of 20

Use the lightest coloured butter possible. In the UK there is a brand called Lurpak which is really light yellow. Add a touch of violet gel colouring to counteract the yellow. And a little bit then a bit more etc till you get the shade. I don't think it's possible to get true white... I'd personally choose the taste over the colour anyday....

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:03pm
post #20 of 20

SMBC under fondant... when its cold its heaven and can cover perfectly... BUT heres my question ( from humid and hot Florida) When will I meet me demise having this SMBC under fondant when the butter base starts to soften and that heavy fondant is on top... What do you do? Cant keep a full decorated cake in the fridge too long with flowers etc and get it to a wedding... then it sits out.... Wil I get a mess of saggy fondant and soft SMBC flowing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%