Layering Cakes

Decorating By RebelGirlCakes Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 6:03am by RebelGirlCakes

RebelGirlCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelGirlCakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

Hi All,
I'm making a groom's cake in the shape of a drum so it will have several layers of round cakes on top of each other. When you put the cardboard cake boards in between tiers, do you cover them with anything like saran wrap or something? It seems they will get soggy and possibly give the cake a funny taste if not. The wedding is this Sat. so any help you can give me is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 7

I always cover my boards w/freezer paper or aluminum foil - top & bottom. Glue it on w/Elmer's white school glue.

RebelGirlCakes Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:43am
post #3 of 7

Ok. Thanks a bunch!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:14am
post #4 of 7

Cake circles are made for thisthey don't need to be covered.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:54am
post #5 of 7

I cover my cake circles because even if I get the ones that are glossy on top, the bottom is plain cardboard. Don't forget that the middle board needs to be a little smaller than the cake so you can ice the cake easily.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:14am
post #6 of 7

I always cover mine with freezer paper too. And always a little bit smaller than the cake circumference. I slip an offset spatula or something larger depending on the size of cake, underneath to transfer to the bottom tier. Someone brought up a good point that I have never done but will now in the future. Have a circle of parchment paper between each tier so that when the cakes are taken off for cutting, icing won't be taken off the bottom tier because it's stuck to the cake being lifted. Hope that made sense!

RebelGirlCakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:03am
post #7 of 7

Great suggestions everyone. Thanks so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%