Serving Sizes

Decorating By EnglishCakeLady Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 12:02am by indydebi

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 31 May 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 2

I have downloaded some really useful resources about the number of servings I can expect from different sized pans. I just want to check that what I am understanding is correct:

At the weekend I baked a 12" tier that was 4" high, a 10" bottom tier that was 5" high and a top 6" graduation cap tier that was about 3" high.

Am I right in thinking that, based on a serving size of 2" x 2", that my bottom tier would serve around 56 (28 servings x 2 as it was 4" high), the middle more than 42 (21 servings x 2+ as it was 5" high) and around 8 servings for the top?

I would love any feedback - if I can get this right I'm good to go!

1 reply
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:02am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCakeLady

I have downloaded some really useful resources about the number of servings I can expect from different sized pans. I just want to check that what I am understanding is correct:

At the weekend I baked a 12" tier that was 4" high, a 10" bottom tier that was 5" high and a top 6" graduation cap tier that was about 3" high.

Am I right in thinking that, based on a serving size of 2" x 2", that my bottom tier would serve around 56 (28 servings x 2 as it was 4" high), the middle more than 42 (21 servings x 2+ as it was 5" high) and around 8 servings for the top?

I would love any feedback - if I can get this right I'm good to go!

A two-layer 12" round, when cut in the industry standard of 1x2x4, will serve 56. If you cut it 2x2x4, then you'll only get 28 servings from it.

The two-layer 10" will still only serve 38 (same as 4" tall cake) because the cutting surface is the same UNLESS .... You have a cardboard in there to separate one of the layers (i.e. 2 layers of cake .... cardboard .... 1 layer of cake).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%