How Much Icing To Put On Cake

Decorating By MollyHammond Updated 31 May 2011 , 9:49pm by kakeladi

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to cake decorating. I did a birthday cake this weekend and they told me it was wonderful but too much icing. It was a 9x13 carrot cake with cream cheese icing. I watched Sharon Zambito's dvd. So my question is how much is enough and how much is too much? Is to each taste?
Molly

3 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 4

I think it's a personal preference. If the icing is good, I want LOTS. DH on the other hand, scrapes most of it off. We're both happy! I would rather over-ice than under-ice.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyHammond

So my question is how much is enough and how much is too much?

Enough is the amount that it takes to cover without seeing the cake through it. I don't think you could apply too muchthe name of the game is to slap it on and wipe it off while not taking off too much. Like the PP mentioned, if it's too muchthey'll leave it on their plate!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 4

Taste is soooooooooo individual! As has been said, what to one is too much to me probably wouldn't be enough.
Basically what unlimited said: enough to cover w/o seeing cake through it - about 1/4".
If you use the QuickIcer tip then smooth it all out taking off just a bit it should be perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%