Cake Ran?

Decorating By jimagination Updated 31 May 2011 , 8:17pm by Brevity

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I made an Elmo cake this past week. I made it Thursday night and had it in the freezer until a few hours before the party that was sunday mid day. The cake was covered in rolled buttercream with some fondant, chocolate clay and sugar paper accents. My sister dropped the cake off at the party as I was out of town and texted me and said the cake was sweating. Uuuggghhh- The party was outside and It was 94 degrees and humid that day! But now the customer is emailing me complaining of the cake dripping. Did I do something wrong? Was there something I could have done to prevent it? Shoudl I give them their money back. I only charge them $65.00 for it and it was huge with a chocolate covered RKT Elmo popping out of it.

4 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 5

If you freeze, the cake has to be thawed, while it is still wrapped. The same is true for cakes that are refrigerated and brought out to a very warm environment.

If the cake stayed wrapped, the condensation would have been on the wrapping and not on the cake. When the cake came up to temperature, condensation would not be a problem and it could be unwrapped.

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5

Lesson learned! Thank you!
Should I give them money back? I actually paid more to make it than I got for it.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

If a customers' cake was ruined through my wrongdoing as a baker (if I didn't thaw the cake properly, or find out where they were holding the party to give them correct storage instructions), I would give them all their money back. But everyone has different business policies.

If you feel like you undercharged them, you'll know better next time icon_wink.gif It's not the clients fault they only paid $65.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5

I would at least refund some of the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%