Duff Cakes For 2 Prices

Decorating By MFARAH1020 Updated 31 May 2011 , 8:31pm by cownsj

MFARAH1020 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFARAH1020 Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 20

Has anyone see Duff cake prices for Cake for two? what do you think about it? here is the link
http://www.charmcitycakes.com/cakesfortwo

19 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 20

What I think is $250.00 for a 8 inch cake even if it is 3 layers is not worth it....but he is Duff and a TV star so I guess he can charge what he wants and get it!

New concept though which keeps things fresh...

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 20

Its brilliant because there are so many people out there that are going to buy one just because its from Charm City Cakes. If I could charge $250 for an 8 inch cake you better bet I would be.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 20

It really depends on how long the design takes to execute. We've charged $200+ for 8" cakes before because they had complex decorations -- if ingredients and marginal overhead on an 8" cake add up to $20, commercial kitchen rent is $20/hour, your time is worth $15/hour, and the cake takes 5 hours to bake and decorate, your cost is $20 + ($35 * 4) = $195. Add a 25% profit margin and you're at $244.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 20

Yeah..I guess when you calculate it like that.....but I still think I would pass....isn't that funny...here I am caking and probably think the same thing!! Ha!Ha!

MFARAH1020 Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 20

I wish I could sell a cake like that for $250, I sold a cake for 150 people for $565, It make me feel very good. if you want to see it is is in my pictures, The Cinderella castle cake.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 20

He is a showman, and has a fantastic staff that helped put him on the map. I saw him at a food show here in ohio. He was so funny while his assistant goef (sp) prepared an 8 in round fondant covered cake like the tiffany 2 person cake only in pink. Took him about 10 min.. that quick. So they can put out some of those cakes in little or no time, I am sure that they have many shortcuts..and we know they have many helpers In most cases we have just "us" .

I think that the cost of the cake is one thing but if you have that many people do so many cakes of all sizes and shapes doing all within that same time period as these two person cakes then they shouldn't come out to 250 or what ever the figure. If your only putting out one cake per work hour then sure it is more costly.. but he works also on quantity.

But then again I can't see 2.00- 5.00 for a cupcake either. I don't think I could ever charge the prices that some people charge. I just couldn't.

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 20

are you sure these are 8" cakes? it's says for two people. it very possibly is a 6" cake at most.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 20

You know....I DO make cakes and I know what is involved. Still.....I think for the designs I saw on the website.....$250 is over the top. I don't care if he IS Duff!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 20

oops, never mind.

read the fine print and it does say 8".

my bad!

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 20

Duff states on his website that these Twofer cakes are for folks on a budget and they actually feed 15 but at $250.00 plus tax and that's around 18 bucks a slice. They come in about 50 flavors but cannot be custom ordered and look like most are cut from stencils so wow... it pays to be Duff.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 20

That is some serious cake eating if 8 inches is considered a 2 person serving. icon_surprised.gif

MFARAH1020 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 20

Has anyone ordered a cake from the cake boss? I wonder about his prices.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 20

i don't know about cake boss he at least puts lots of fillings in the middle of his cake layers chocolate fruit ...custard yum... I would love to just try some of the pastry that they show in there shop...

I love those sweet carbs. hum, maybe I should make some nice cinimon rolls for my husband tonight for work tomorow... or nut roll. so easy once i get going... but never do it.. (he isn't a cake person..) so i think he would like that and thinking about it they sound great to me..

did anyone notice how much food is on during the day.. rachel ray paula Dean and cake boss cooks.. even the doctors has food today.

Think I better stop cc for now and start to work on my dinner.

Noobz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noobz Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 20

Speaking from my consumer point of view thats an absolute rip off! The designs aren't even complicated or intricate, I guess your paying for the 'brand'.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 20

If he can charge it and get orders then so be it, good for him.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFARAH1020

Has anyone ordered a cake from the ? I wonder about his prices.

Carlo's Bakery doesn't list prices but they do state "Consultations, which include refreshments and cake samples, are $100." so I imagine that for tiered cakes they run along the lines of Duff's prices.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

You know....I DO make cakes and I know what is involved. Still.....I think for the designs I saw on the website.....$250 is over the top. I don't care if he IS Duff!

Same idea when celeb bakes price cakes at $20-$30 per slice...I don't care what it costs you to make it, no cake tastes so good that I'd be willing to pay that price...and I've been baking more than 30 years now!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 20

You have to think that he is so overwhelmed with orders that he has to have a big staff to get them all out. He charges what he does because a) he is weeding out the people that you sometimes get that want one of those elaborate cakes but want to pay Walmart prices for. They know first hand that he isnt cheap and their going to have to pay if they want one of their creations. b) He is a Food Network star. He is famous. He's done many movie premiers and cakes for Hollywoods elite. He is a Dolce Gabbana in the cake world. So people will pay to have his designer cakes. Just like some of us will spend $150 for a purse or a pair of shoes, people will pay for a designer cake.
If I could get it, I would. I unfortunetly get the people that want the designer cakes on a Walmart budget. But its the town Im in. Im two hours away from Baltimore. People around here cant afford that because their too busy pouring their dollars into trying to keep their homes and feed their families.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 31 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnmouse

That is some serious cake eating if 8 inches is considered a 2 person serving. icon_surprised.gif

He does address that on the site:

"Do they really only feed two?

No. Every Cake for Two is an 8-inch round cake with 3 layers of cake inside. They actually feed about 15. But "Cakes for Fifteen" didn't have as nice a ring to it."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%