Need Help! Not Sure How To Handle This....

Decorating By fabray13 Updated 2 Jun 2011 , 10:57pm by BlakesCakes

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 15

So I received an order for an eiffel tower cake for a bridal shower this Thursday. The cake is for 100 people. My problem is, this customer has been driving me crazy! She was referred by a regular customer. She has never tried my cakes, so she asked for some cupcakes to sample. I told her that I only offer samplings for weddings but I told her I can try and get some cupcakes to her this past weekend. (I know it is very close to the party but I've been very busy and couldnt fit it in any sooner) So I finally got the cupcakes to her on Saturday. She told me that she would call me the next day, Sunday, to finalize everything. Well I still havent heard from her and I really want to cancel the order. Not sure what to do!?!?! I feel bad because it is so close to the party, but now I dont think i'll even have time to make the cake. Help!!!! TIA!

14 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 15

Call her and tell her that unless you hear from her and have the full payment in hand by tonight then she will have to find another baker.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 15

She said she would call-SHE didn't. Call her and tell her the date is taken. Then go shopping. People who are rude need to be ignored-not run after.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 15

Here's my confusion on this kind of "sampling" request: It's 5 days before the event, if I'm calculating this right. She samples the cupcakes to see if she likes your baking. What happens if she doesn't? Does she REALLY have time to shop out an Eiffel Tower cake in less than 5 days? If I'm planning a party with just 5 days left to work with, why am I d*cking around wanting a free sample, unless i"m just some ditz who feels "entitled" to the "sampling experience"?

If she's "sampling" so she can decide which flavor she wants, then she should buy some cupcakes (min 6 each flavor!) so she can decide. Pizza Hut won't give me a free slice of every kind of pizza they make so I can "decide" which pizzas I want to order for my kid's birthday party, no matter HOW much money I'm spending!

I just seriously dont' understand this mindset. Maybe I have a mental block or something, but it's a head shaking moment for me. icon_confused.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 15

The sampling thing is annoying, but you took the order and now you have to suck it up. Yes, so people will say it's your business you you can pick and choose whatever orders you want, but have entered into a contract with this lady - whether it be verbal or written. For you to back out, simply b/c she is being a PITA is not very professional in my opinion.

If I were you, I would call her today and tell her that you need to finalize all the details of the cake today if she wants the cake for Thursday.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #6 of 15

To follow up: I have been a mess about this all day! I sent the customer an email telling her I was sorry that I hadnt heard from her and figured she must have gone another route. Apologized that she didnt enjoy the cupcakes I provided. This was yesterday afternoon. Well this morning I had a message from her saying she still needed the cake and she texted me on MONDAY but she was having problems with her phone. Hello! If you dont hear back, wouldnt you try calling especially if you are having problems with your phone?!?! Well I was at work so I couldnt call her but texted back explaining I was at work and apologized for the miscommunication but it was too late to make the cake. She then texted back. Do we have any other options? Can I make cupcakes? Sure no problem. I can make cupcakes. Then she texted back no we need the cake. Then she called and left me a message telling me this was not acceptable and I had to make the cake. Then she texted me we found someone else to make the cake. THANK GOD! I felt really bad but wanted to get the last word in, so texted her back and again, I apologized for the miscommunication but texting is not always a reliable way to communicate, ezpecially when ordering something!!!!! Lessons learned. Definatly requiring signed contract with payment in full before. Also going to make 2 week notice for all orders.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:04am
post #7 of 15

Sounds like a lesson learned!

NatashaRedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatashaRedel Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:26am
post #8 of 15

Wow. I am NOT a phone person; I hate phoning people I don't know. I will sit and stare at the phone rehearsing forever what I want to say before I dial, but I can't imagine TEXTING information for a cake order! And I do love to text... icon_biggrin.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 3:57am
post #9 of 15

PHEW! You narowly escaped that one!! icon_smile.gif Dont feel bad. People like that aren't worth your time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:52am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabray13

Then she called and left me a message telling me this was not acceptable and I had to make the cake.

You HAD to make the cake? Oh brother!!! icon_lol.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 5:37am
post #11 of 15

First , I am with you ... if she gave you no deposit and said she would decide and call you back you had no obligation to think that was an actual cake order.

I had a lady order a wedding cake for her daughters reception (small home wedding) and said that she had to make sure that her sister didn't have other plans. She picked out everything and said she would call me over the weekend to finalize things. NO CALL
I tried to call her on monday, no answer, no answer any time I would call and she aparently had no machine or voice mail. I didn't know what to do. She planned on picking the cake up at 9am on saturday morning. It was a nice size cake for 150 people. Wednesday still no contact, Thursday nope!

Not knowing what to do I called the lady who had refered her to me. Ask her if she had any info on the wedding plans and why I couldnt reach her. She didnt but said that the lady shops around for the cheapest everything and probably got a cake somewhere else.. and she suggested I not waste my time. So I didn't bake it!! Well I didn't sleep all night worried about the next morning. fearing my door bell. I even talked to my husband about it had he agreed. Well.. 9 something in the morning my door bell rang... my stomach knotted up.. told my husband to go down and talk to her because I was a chicken and didn't want to get into it with an angry person. I looked out into the drive no car. wierd I thought.. but went down to find my neighbor in her robe and a offee cup.. she came down just to scare me...she knew about my problem and just did it as a joke.. now i laugh. but not then.. she said I was white as a ghost.

But I did have a lady that cancelled the cake by email and forgot to call and say she wanted the cake... so she called at 1pm to find out what time I am going to bring the cake for the 7pm reception.. this in the imiddle of a nice day of shopping and lunch with husband.. cut that short and went and baked
like never before. Got the cake to the hall 15 minutes before the reception.

so you never know bake or not to bake .with . crazy clients you never know.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 12:34pm
post #12 of 15

[quote="labmom"]
But I did have a lady that cancelled the cake by email and forgot to call and say she wanted the cake... so she called at 1pm to find out what time I am going to bring the cake for the 7pm reception.. this in the imiddle of a nice day of shopping and lunch with husband.. cut that short and went and baked
like never before. [quote]

She had cancelled the cake, then decided she still wanted it, but she forgot to tell you????????? And you rushed home, baked, decorated, and delivered the cake?????????????? NO WAY! icon_eek.gif

She got a big reward for being a doofus. icon_cool.gif

My hubby would have cut the power off to the overn--or divorced me-- if I'd have made that cake!

Rae

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 15

Yes my hubby wasn't happy. Not at first.

But the mom ran the wedding decorations flowers food everything. I felt so bad for the young bride. Her mom was going to run to sams or walmart and buy something.. i think she said bunt cakes? (for 150?).
I could hear the bride crying in the background. (she should have eloped!),

That was the only reason I did what I did. The bride was lovely and her husband to be amazing. Mom/mom in law...not so much. Stern, Pushy,Bully, just a few names that come to mind when I think of her. oh yes CHEAP.

I did charge extra however and she never said a word about that and the fact that the cake wasn't exactly what SHE picked out, but had the same colors and look.

We hear from people who went to the recerption that it was a very nice reception and everyone loved the cake.

Under the circumstances I felt for the poor daughter I think I would have done the cake for free as a gift.. just to give her something she wanted in this wedding. Hubby then saw my side of things..and went with me to deliver and stood there while lady paid me.

I hear the couple moved out of state!

Anyway a New record for me on a 3 tier cake 14/10/7 start to finish delivery..3hrs.12min.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 15

Who would have thought we would have to start putting into contracts that texting orders, changes or anything would not be allowed? LOL I thought the texting thing was common sense. With something like this, you don't text. Duh.

I'm glad she back out. You don't need that kind of stress. Just think about the stress you would have been under if you had gone through with it? She would have found something to complain about. Cake was dry. It wasn't to her liking after all. There was too much or there was too little. And of course people who complain usually want come kind of compensation too....

Labmom: Nice record! You are very brave!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

Anyway a New record for me on a 3 tier cake 14/10/7 start to finish delivery..3hrs.12min.

Wow! I couldn't have even tried.

Just prepping & baking the 2, 14 inch layers would have taken me over 2 hrs., not including time to cool. Another 2 hrs. for the 10s & 7s. Making the icing, maybe 1.5hrs., icing it--just smooth--an hour. Maybe, maybe 8hrs. from baking to stacking.........

Kudos for pulling it off, but she'd have paid hush money not to tell anyone icon_eek.gif
Don't want people ever thinking that we can do this on a regular basis icon_wink.gif

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%