What Should I Do?

Decorating By proudmama4 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 3:29pm by Minstrelmiss

proudmama4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmama4 Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 11

I have cake class tonight. I covered a cake w/ MMF and it seems like it was starting to bulge on one side of the top. It's just a 2 layer 8" cake. 4" high, so it's not a stacking issue or anything.

I put the cake in the fridge overnight, and it's still fine. I think it will be fine so long as it stays cold, but it is HOT where I live, and I'm worried about it surviving a 2 hour class!

Should I freeze it? Should I transport it in a cooler on ice? I have a 6" cake that is currently covered in BC, that I will cover in class. Should I freeze that?

My instructor was going to show me how to stack them, but not sure if that will work out or not! icon_smile.gif Maybe it's just how it looked...I guess time will tell.

Thanks for your suggestions.

10 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 11

Sounds like an air bubble, use a small pin on an angle to let the air out. Sometimes that happens. I wouldn't freeze it.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 11

I think you should take it out of the fridge. the buldging may be due to excess icing underneath the fondant. What sort of icing did you cover the cake with. most probably it hadnt crusted. I dont think you place fondant covered cakes in the fridge because they start to sweat, i am told. i hope someone will come up with some advice.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

Sounds like an air bubble, use a small pin on an angle to let the air out. Sometimes that happens. I wouldn't freeze it.

Ditto on this advice! I hate those things the worst thing ever when a cake is complete. Definitely pin prick and try to smooth the icing back onto the cake if it is still soft. if it starts to crack try to fill it with a little RI
HTH

proudmama4 Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 11

I used chocolate BC, and used almond milk and a Earth Balance fake butter, both of which say to keep refridgerated, (we're a dairy intolerant household) in the recipe. Is it OK for the BC w/ almond milk and EB to sit out? I guess I should be using water and shortening instead of milk and butter in BC recipes that you use for fondant?

The BC did crust before putting the fondant on. This is my first time, so lots to learn! icon_smile.gif

Is sweat a problem other than appearance? Will it cause the cake to fall or anything, or will it just look bad? It's just for us, so I'm not presenting it to anyone or anything.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 11

...........BC did crust before putting the fondant on........

that is a BIG part of the problem. The b'cream needs to be fresh for the fondant to adhear to it. You have an air bubble. Pinprick it as has already been suggested.
I know nothing about almond milk as to how it will spoil etc. so can't suggest if it needs to be in frig. **In general** b'cream w/milk can be left at room temp for up to 4 days .
Sweat is not a problem; it will evaporate just fine if you leave it alone.
You say it's hot but what is hot to you? Are we talking 90 degrees w/90% humidity? Then frig it. If it's like 80 degrees w/30% humidity it will be fine at room temp - out of direct sun.

proudmama4 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 11

Yes, hot! icon_smile.gif high of 96, humidity 65%.

Thank you!

proudmama4 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:29am
post #8 of 11

It made it! I didn't do anything, and it shockingly did not sweat! It made it home and everything. Not bad for my first fondant and first stacked cake. Thanks for all the reassurance!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2053260

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 11

proundmama4, your cake looks great. Was it for the Wilton Tall Cakes Class?

proudmama4 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 11

No, it was the final fondant class. I asked my instructor if I could do an 8" & 6" stacked, because that is what I want to do for my daughter's 1st birthday next month. She's having a Princess Kate tea party! And then my son (twins) is having a beach party. I wanted to do the stacked cake one time before trying on my own. She was fine with it. That is why I covered the bottom tier on my own the night before, because I knew I wouldn't have time in the 2 hours to cover both and decorate. It was a good thing I did, because I was rolling balls like mad to get out of Michael's on time! icon_smile.gif It was fun!

My instructor needs to get 6 people to make it worth doing the Tall Cake class. I will probably do that if she can get enough people. I'm kinda sad the courses are over, it was fun. My purpose was to learn enough to do birthday cakes for my 3 kids, and that goal was met, so I am very happy.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 11

I LOVE Earth Balance, but that may have also contributed to your problem. It has SUCH a low melting point (as I'm sure you know.) Maybe add some shortening next time to help bring down the melting point. I'm glas you were happy with your results icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%