First Time Working With Sugarpaste..

Baking By stephkelsey Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 1:47am by stephkelsey

stephkelsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephkelsey Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:58am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I'm extremely new to cake decorating, and am making some cupcakes for a friend's birthday. I bought some sugarpaste and a PME flower cutter as I just want to add a few flowers to each cupcake on top of the buttercream icing.

I intend to colour the sugarpaste in different colours to match with the different colours of icing, and had a few questions:

1. How long in advance of making the flowers do I need to colour the sugarpaste? Can it be immediate or is it best to leave it a day? Also, once it is coloured should I roll it out immediately or leave it for a while?

2. Is a plastic rolling pin necessary? Or can I just use a wooden one?

3. Do I need to add CMC/gum tragacanth to the sugarpaste in order to make these flowers? They will just be sitting amongst the buttercream, I hope, so no need for them to be too hard.

4. If so, how much of the CMC/gum trag would be needed?

Sorry if these seem like simple questions but I'm very new to this! I hope I'm not being too unrealistic about what I'm setting out to do, haha.

Thanks in advance everyone icon_smile.gif

Steph

3 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:13am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephkelsey

1. How long in advance of making the flowers do I need to colour the sugarpaste? Can it be immediate or is it best to leave it a day? Also, once it is coloured should I roll it out immediately or leave it for a while?

Immediate is fine, but you might find the colour deepens slightly over time. You can roll it out immediately, or leave it well-wrapped.

2. Is a plastic rolling pin necessary? Or can I just use a wooden one?

Wood is fine. Maybe try a little with yours to make sure it gives you the results you're after.

3. Do I need to add CMC/gum tragacanth to the sugarpaste in order to make these flowers? They will just be sitting amongst the buttercream, I hope, so no need for them to be too hard.

No. Leave them a day or so to dry, and they'll be fine.

stephkelsey Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:23am
post #3 of 4

Thank you! That's a great help.

stephkelsey Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:47am
post #4 of 4

Also, is there anywhere specific I would leave the decorations to dry? I'm assuming they can't go in the refrigerator?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%