Attaching Edible Image To Fondant

Decorating By cakemom59 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 1:06pm by Mikel79

cakemom59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom59 Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a cake for my daughter's Girl Scout Bronze Award Banquet. I'm planning on making a 3-tier cake. The bottom tier will be frosted in chocolate buttercream to represent their years in Brownies, the center tier will be frosted in green buttercream to represent their years in Juniors. I'm planning on having edible images made of the Try-its and Badges they earned and putting them on the respective tiers. I was thinking I would put the edible image on fondant "discs" and then attach them to the cake using buttercream. Does this sound like it will work? If so, what is the best way to make the edible image adhere to the fondant? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:03am
post #2 of 8

Yes, that will work fine. I use piping gel to attach my edible images to my fondant.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:03am
post #3 of 8

Yes, that will work fine. I use piping gel to attach my edible images to my fondant.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:43am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom59

I'm making a cake for my daughter's Girl Scout Bronze Award Banquet. I'm planning on making a 3-tier cake. The bottom tier will be frosted in chocolate buttercream to represent their years in Brownies, the center tier will be frosted in green buttercream to represent their years in Juniors. I'm planning on having edible images made of the Try-its and Badges they earned and putting them on the respective tiers. I was thinking I would put the edible image on fondant "discs" and then attach them to the cake using buttercream. Does this sound like it will work? If so, what is the best way to make the edible image adhere to the fondant? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Hi there, this will work perfectly I do this for some cupcake toppers. I find the best way for me is to lightly dampen the fondant disc with water first. Don't over soak just lightly with a paint brush. I find it easier then to move the image a little if I don't get it right first time icon_smile.gif HTH

cakemom59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom59 Posted 31 May 2011 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the advice. I'll post the cake when I'm finished!

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 8

I just brush my image with water and it sticks right to the fondant. The water makes the fondant sticky like glue.

1sweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1sweetpea Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 8

All sound advice! Except I wouldn't recommend applying the water to the image itself...it may tear if you're unlucky. You can use water, piping gel, simple syrup or potable, clear alcohol (i.e., vodka) to act as your glue. My favorite method is using an airbrush with vodka, as the airbrush lays down a really fine mist of moisture, and no bristle brushing is required icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 8

I attach all of my edible images to fondant before placing on the cake. I dampen the fondant with a damp towel and attach the image. Let dry overnight. Apply to the cake.

This is a cake that I did this past weekend with this method...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2052830

HTH

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%