Extruder Or Something Similar

Decorating By SweetSyren Updated 30 May 2011 , 10:23pm by avasmummy

SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 30 May 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 4

Where did you get you extruder or what do you have that is similar? I have onle seen 1 brand and it seems small. I need to make tennis racket strings and from what I can tell from the online picts it only makes 1 string at a time. I tried to use my cookie press but the fondant is too thick and is hard to press through the mechanism

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 4

When you put fondant through the extruder, you usually knead in some shortening to make it softer and easier to extrude. Maybe that would help with the cookie press too.

I use the makins extruder, the green one with the screw top. You'd probably only want to make one string at a time because they'll stick together if you're making them with one of the plates with lots of holes.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

When you put fondant through the extruder, you usually knead in some shortening to make it softer and easier to extrude. Maybe that would help with the cookie press too.

I use the makins extruder, the green one with the screw top. You'd probably only want to make one string at a time because they'll stick together if you're making them with one of the plates with lots of holes.

I use the Makins extruder too...there are others out there, but they all only make one string at a time. Thing is, if you make one very long string, you can certainly cut them to size. I've found it sometimes difficult to make strings that don't start wrapping around themselves. Gotta move fast! And the shortening really does help make them smooth.

avasmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avasmummy Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 4

I use a cookie press - its huge and has loads of disks. the holes are all quite large but hubby it going to drill a few smaller holes for me.
Also you can heat the fondant for a few seconds before putting it in the extruder to make it softer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%