Genoise Myth

Decorating By nanefy Updated 31 May 2011 , 6:22am by de_montsoreau

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 11

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share an EXCELLENT tip with those who use genoise for their cakes.

I have been using genoise exclusively for a while now and it kills my arm folding in the flour and butter and it is especially irritating because it takes AGES and when your done I never think it's really stopped the mixture from deflating. So out of sheer boredom of having my arm killing me I decided today to try using my stand mixer with the whisk attachment on it's lowest speed...............................................................Well let me tell you this......whoever said that genoise MUST be folded gently with a spatula was lying! Basically once the egg mixture has tripled in volume, I add my sifted flour and reserve about a half cup of flour to mix with my butter. Turned my mixer to the lowest setting and mixed the flour until JUST incorporated and then added the butter/flour mixture and did the same again. This literally took SECONDS and not the five minutes or so it takes doing it by hand. I then used a spatula to give it a quick once over and the batter was BETTER than doing it by hand. It didn't deflate anywhere near as much and it was certainly mixed better.

Can't believe I've got one arm full of muscles and one bingo wing because I believed that you just HAD to mix it by hand! LIES LIES LIES!!! lol.

Anyway, hope this helps someone icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 11

Thanks, I have avoided this type if cake for that very reason. I don't have the strength anymore to fold for five minutes.

I may try a genoise now just for the heck of it. icon_smile.gif

Michele

nanefy Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Thanks, I have avoided this type if cake for that very reason. I don't have the strength anymore to fold for five minutes.

I may try a genoise now just for the heck of it. icon_smile.gif

Michele

Well I'm glad it's given you inspiration to make one!!

Here is my recipe, this makes roughly a 10" cake by about 2 or 3" high.

8 large eggs
10oz of sugar (I use granulated because it's WAY cheaper lol)
4.5 oz of butter
250g plain flour or all purpose flour

Melt butter and allow to cool. Combine eggs and sugar in your stand mixer bowl and heat gently over a bain marie until the mixture is warmed (not hot). Then return to the mixer and using the whip attachment, whisk on high until tripled in volume and practically white in colour. Sift your flour into the bowl and reserve about a half cup of flour (doesn't have to be precise). Turn the mixer to the lowest setting and mix until JUST combined. Mix reserved flour with butter until smooth and then with the mixer on low drizzle over the mixture in the bowl, again JUST until mixed.
Use a rubber spatula just to make sure that you've incorporated all the flour and butter and then pour into pan and bake! EASY PEASY!! icon_smile.gif

nanefy Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 11

Oh yeah meant to say that because this way of mixing stops the mixture from deflating as much it cooks much quicker as well!! So basically I've reduced my cake making/baking time from about one and a half hours to about 45 minutes......no joke!!

This recipe is the Larouse Gastronomique recipe and it's never failed me.

Depending on the size of your tin, will determine the oven temperature. If I use a sandwhich tin which is pretty shallow, it only takes about 15 or 20 minutes, but if I use a smaller deeper tin for a deeper cake, it takes about 40 minutes and for deeper cakes I reduce the oven temperature so that it doesn't burn on the outside. Ultimately different ovens and tins will perform differently so just play it by ear.

The other most important thing is that this cake MUST be soaked with simple syrup or it's very dry - very spongey and light but very dry. Genoise can hold a lot of liquid - I'm sure I was told that 2 tablespoons of liquid for every egg used, but I just slather loads on lol. My simple syrup is 1 part sugar to 1 part water heated until clear.

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks i also have wanted to try this...thanks for the recipe

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 30 May 2011 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the tip!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:03am
post #7 of 11

Thank you for the recipe. I'll give it a try soon.

Michele

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #8 of 11

Ok, have to ask a stupid question.... What is a "bain marie"? Is it the same thing as a double boiler here in the US?

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:41am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

Ok, have to ask a stupid question.... What is a "bain marie"? Is it the same thing as a double boiler here in the US?

Yes they are the same icon_smile.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:25am
post #10 of 11

Thank you for the tip! I will try this next time I have to make a large quantity. Although, it should not take 5 minutes to fold in the flour - no wonder the dough gets deflated! It takes me a minute, tops.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:22am
post #11 of 11

I make a very similar recipe all the time as well. Will definitely try your tip and skip the folding!

Another tip for this to skip the bain marie - whisk the eggs lightly and then add 1 teaspoon of VERY hot water per egg, continue whisking untill you have a very fluffy mass then gradually add the sugar.
BTW, I use granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%