Frosting Or Fondant For A July Cake?

Decorating By just4fun72 Updated 31 May 2011 , 12:57am by kakeladi

just4fun72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun72 Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a wedding cake in July. It will be a black and white cake. What will work better with the heat:Fondant or buttercream? Help birthday.gif

3 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 4

Shortning based buttercream most likely.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 4

Is the reception indoors with air conditioning or outdoors? If it is outdoors, I would either use a shortening based buttercream or fondant. Either should be fine,as long as the cake is not in direct sunlight. If it is going to be indoors with a/c and you are just worried about transport, you could do a buttercream that is 50/50 shortnening and butter. I would steer clear of a 100% buttercream (i.e. SMBC).

Yesterday, I delivered 9 dozen cupcakes to a wedding reception in 90 + degree heat. I used toneedna's buttercream (50% butter and 50% hi ratio shortening). About 20 minutes prior to delivery, I started my car and cranked up the ac. That way, when I put the cupcakes in my SUV, the interior was nice and cold. This worked beautifully, and the cupcakes stayed in perfect condition. HTH!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:57am
post #4 of 4

As cakegirl said, b'cream should be fine. I made 1,000s of cakes in CA - triple digit heat, no humidity - all iced in b'cream and never had but one melt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%