Stacking Sheet Cake

Decorating By ReGene Updated 30 May 2011 , 5:26pm by SarahL4683

ReGene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReGene Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 4

I have checked the forum and so far have not found my answer.

I'm a newbie so if this is a silly question please forgive. I was doing a piano recital cake a few weeks ago and doing a tier 4" high with a half sheet cake.

Both cakes turned out about 2" each, but one side was a little lower on each. I intended to flip the one on opposite tops to compensate. I flipped the second layer onto lg. clear wrapped board and then attempted the flip onto the filling on the bottom layer. It cracked and ended up off sides!. I was able to gently push it in place ..most of the way. (although I had to use icing of crumbcoat gaps.

In the end, after decoration it was not noticable, but I am sure there must be a better way to deal with stacking the large cakes. Help!

Thanks for any tips

3 replies
Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 4

I asked the same question a while back, and got great advice, I bought a cookie sheet without the sides it works great for sliding one cake onto the other one. (I also found that if the cakes are cold they handle better, less likely to break, thats just my experience though.)
HTH

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody130

I asked the same question a while back, and got great advice, I bought a cookie sheet without the sides it works great for sliding one cake onto the other one. (I also found that if the cakes are cold they handle better, less likely to break, thats just my experience though.)
HTH

yes a little while ago I gave the same advise and yes this works great and as far as it not leveling it out, each layer needs to be leveld before stacking and than make sure you have enough filling/ buttercream edge to help with some of the evenness of the cake. but cookie sheet all the way wouldn't do any cake with out it icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, a large cookie sheet without the sides works beautifully. And chilling the cake always helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%