Smoothing Buttercream!!!!!

Decorating By emmajacob2 Updated 29 May 2011 , 11:42pm by carmijok

emmajacob2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmajacob2 Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 6

icon_cry.gif I'm in the middle of doing a birthday cake to be delivered tomorrow and for the first time I can't get my buttercream icing to crust so I can smooth it with a viva paper towel! The icing is sticking to the paper towels! I NEED HELP!!! Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong!? Is it the humid weather? What do I need to do?!

5 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 6

What recipe are you using for you buttercream? Have you used the recipe before and not had any problems with using the Viva paper towel method?

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 6

Just add some powedered sugar. Or smooth it with a wet spatula.

emmajacob2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmajacob2 Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 6

I"m using the same recipe I always use. The icing is already on the cake so I can't add powdered sugar to the icing, but I will try using the wet spatula idea! Thanks so much! I really appreciate your ideas! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 6

Stick it in the fridge to harden it, smooth some of it, repeat. It will get soft again as the warm air hits it so work fast but not so fast you jam a finger into the cake. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 6

Maybe with the humidity it's taking a longer time to crust. I agree though too about putting it in the fridge and letting it harden and then smoothing some more on. That's usually how I do it. But I also use the Melvira foam roller method at times and for that the BC needs to be crusted at room temp for it to work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%