Stomach Bug. . . Wdid?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 5:41pm by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 8

I donated a $100 value cake at my daughter's school auction a few months back. One of the teachers won it, and wanted the cake for her 2 year old's birthday party tomorrow night. I told her we'd be away for the weekend, but that I'd bring my supplies and work on it here.

Well, last week, my middle daughter had the stomach bug. I am a germaphobe, so I followed her around with Clorox and thought I did a pretty good job. Then, of course, my 10 month old started with loose diapers (no puke, like the middle one). She was still like that yesterday--we do have our sitter with us, so I've not really touched her much.

Well, now I think I have it and I've already baked, torted and frosted two tiers (11" and 9") and was about to ganache, fondant and decorate!!!

WHAT THE HECK DO I DO!!!???? I feel like I can't cancel on this woman this late, especially since no other bakery or store will be open on Memorial Day!! I bleached everything--every faucet, door handle, mixer, oven handle, etc.

What do I do?????

7 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 8

I would call the customer, let her know the situation, and let her decide. She's a teacher and a mother so I think she would understand. That way she can make the decision of whether to risk it or not.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 8

I'd say you're probably ok. We come into contact with a billion different germs every day, every time we leave our house. At the grocery, at school, etc.

As long as you washed your often, didn't cough or sneeze all over the cake, kept all surfaces clean, washed your hands and under your nails thoroughly after dealing with sick kids, you're most likely ok

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 8

Sounds like you've taken every precaution you can...wear a mask and finish the cake....its way more than most people in food service do, who come to work sick because they can't afford to miss a day of work.

Technically, you are most contagious before you get symptoms...no telling how many cakes we've sent out the door not knowing we had a virus, really....

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with Michelle, if you're really worried about it then call up the customer and explain the situation and let her decide with how to proceed.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 8

Wear a mask and disposable gloves. Try to keep sick family members out of the room until you can finish. Box the cake if you can or see if the lady can pick it up as soon as you are done.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 29 May 2011 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 8

When I've come down with the flu while baking I've always let the customer know and let them decide. With that said, any baked goods that didn't leave this house while I or someone else was sick always get eaten here once we are feeling okay and no one has ever gotten sick. Germs can only live on surfaces for so long anyways, correct?

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone!! Because I had most of the cake done, I did a complete disinfecting of the entire kitchen (thankfully, it was at my parents' house, which has an "extra kitchen" downstairs that no one uses. . . so it was that one), and then wore a mask and washed my hands between every move. Also, after posting, I did feel better. Maybe it wasn't the virus (or maybe a milder version). I guess it's something we all have to plan for in this business!

So far, so good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%