Fondant Rope With Clay Extruder

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 29 May 2011 , 2:38pm by Pickulz

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:42am
post #1 of 7

I just recently purchased a makin clay extruder (green one) and wanted to know how to make a two coloured rope with that?
Which disc do I use? And how do I twist the two colours?
And also, im wondering does the rope crack or break after its dried? I will be using MMF.
TIA!

6 replies
CakesByRashmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByRashmi Posted 29 May 2011 , 7:47am
post #2 of 7

Hi there, don't think you can do double colors in one go. You will need to make them in 2 batches And roll them together

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4PtQNPxI5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 7

What exactly are you trying to do? If you want a two strand rope with each strand being a different color, I would use the single hole insert and push one color through, then do the other color, then twist them together. I think that's the only way to make it look even.

Unless I want the rope to be hard, I do it right before it gets put on the cake. It will harden, but shouldn't crack or anything. When I want to do a rope around the edge of something, I extrude it and then right away attach it to whatever I'm going around, so it stays in the correct shape.

Also, just a hint - if the fondant is coming out dry and crackly looking, knead just a bit of Crisco into it and it should help.

Good luck!

trixie05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixie05 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 7

I've done this by putting in two thin logs of two different colors, and when extruding them, slightly twisting them as they come out. Works great! Good luck.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 7

I always knead extra shortening into my fondant to soften it before extruding. This makes it much easier to extrude and eliminates the 'chatter' lines on the extruded rope and prevents cracking, too.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 7

If you need to extract your ropes in advance and are worried about drying and cracking, cover them immediately with Saran Wrap after you've 'roped' them and they'll stay pliable for a while. And definitely use the extra shortening to help them extrude smoothly.

I will say this...I've had difficulty with them stretching and breaking while I'm trying to attach them so if someone has some advice about how to apply them, I'd love to hear it! icon_smile.gif

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 29 May 2011 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much!!! Yes I am trying to have two strands of different colors twisted together!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%