Fondant Question

Decorating By sweetsirten Updated 29 May 2011 , 12:45am by cakegirl1973

sweetsirten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsirten Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 2

I am doing a wedding cake, as a gift, for 100 people in a couple weeks. The cake will be 3 tiers covered in teal fondant (it is a peacock themed wedding). I am not the best with fondant (I do mostly buttercream), I always seem to have issues with it ripping or getting too sticky. I've never purchased fondant - have always made my own mmf. I thought that maybe purchasing some fondant for this cake would help me out some, and save time. icon_smile.gif So, my questions are: Which brand of fondant is the best for covering a tiered cake like this (the wedding is outdoors), how many pounds would I need approximately, and what is the best way to achieve the teal color (painting or kneading in color, i don't have an airbrush). Thanks guys!

1 reply
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:45am
post #2 of 2

I use Fondafrific, which can be pretty pricey. It is very soft, so it does not dry out as quickly as other brands, which for me is a good thing, because I think I am slower at covering my cakes compared to others. I used to use Satin Ice, but I haven't for months, because they were having some problems with the consistency of the prodict. I haven't seen any posts recently saying that they've had problems, so maybe this has been resolved. I can also tell you that I had a terrible time working with Pettinice, because it is VERY soft but it doesn't have the "stretchiness" that Fondarific does.

As for the amount of fondant you will need, it depends on the sizes and shapes of your tiers. Google Wilton's fondant chart for this info. I would attach a link, but I'm on my phone and can't do links. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%