Royal Icing Keeps Breaking In The Fridge?

Decorating By luvscakes Updated 29 May 2011 , 4:46am by sparkle25

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there!

I have a wedding cake with lots of details attached with Royal... but for some reason, the icing keeps breaking off and I keep losing my pieces. It seems to happen more once I put it back into the fridge after having it out to work on it.
Any idea on why this is happening? Should I perhaps use melted chocolate instead?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

5 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not exactly sure, but I've heard RI goes soft in the fridge, especially if you're attaching it to a BC cake. I don't know if that is the problem though.. I hope someone can help you with this.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 6

RI and refrigeration do not mix. Unless you have a perishable filling, do not put the cake in your fridge. If you have to keep it in your fridge, do not reaffix the details with RI. I would wait until you pull it out of the fridge (prior to delivery) to put your pieces back on--otherwise, they will fall off again and could damage your cake.

Another option, if your pieces are fondant, is just to affix them to the cake with a very small amount of water. HTH & good luck:

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 6

I have heard the same thing! That it gets soft in the fridge and I bet that could cause it to break and fall apart????????

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:08am
post #5 of 6

It is likely the condensation from the cake being taken out of the fridge that is doing the damage. Just that amount of water can dissolve the Royal Icing enough to cause it to detach.

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:46am
post #6 of 6

Royal icing shouldn't be kept in the fridge at all. Any moisture will cause the royal icing to break down and can also make your colors bleed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%