Advice On Expanding (Doubling) Cake Recipes

Baking By LoveConfections Updated 28 May 2011 , 8:40pm by LindaF144a

LoveConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveConfections Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 5

Hey guys! I would like to hear some of your expierences on expanding your recipes. Do you just multiply all of the ingredients? Are there any you dont double ex baking soda or powder.

THankss icon_smile.gif

4 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 5

I have found that there are some recipes that can not be doubled. If you need two cake recipes it is best to make them individally. Then there are some that are easily doubled. Sometimes, I have not needed a complete double recipe and I will x's and 1/2 it and it turns out well. I would suggest that if you want to know if a recipe can be doubled easily then try it out on your family. If the cake does what it should then obviously it can be doubled. The recipes that I have used that can not be doubled easily have a note on them to that effect. If I do not see a note about it not being able to be doubled I assume it can and double it. When I have had cakes not turn out it has not been the recipe's fault. It is usually mine because I was trying to make it when I was tired and made some dumb mistake. Whether it was ommiting something(like a heating core) or not having the pan greased as well as I thought I had. Good luck.

LoveConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveConfections Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your advice. I'll try it out!! I have tried to double a recipe (vanilla) and it tasted horriblee!! just like baking soda, so maybe if i keep the baking soda the same with that maybe it would work

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 5

Either you accidentally got to much in there w/o realizing it or it definitely can't be doubled. Say the recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. and you are doubling the cake. I would say why don't you try to just increase it to 3/4tsp. and see if that works. If it has buttermilk or sourcream I would say you need to double the baking soda for sure. Just make sure that you are just doubling it. I have never doubled a recipe and had the cake tasting like baking soda so it also could be that the recipe called for too much to begin with. It might not have been anything that you could have done. Good luck. Another idea is to shrink the recipe down and make a few cupcakes and see if it can be shrank down. I would think that if it could be shrank down in size that it could be doubled. I may be totally off there. My suggestion to shrink it down it so you won't have so much waste if it doesn't turn out right.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 5

What's the recipe? This sounds odd IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%