Savory Cake

Lounge By semery Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 1:42am by -Tubbs

semery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
semery Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 9

Strange thought #145890....Am having a luncheon for bride to be. Was wondering about a two tier cake. Bottom layer being a savory cake, top layer the dessert cake. Am having difficulty trying to think of a way to bake bread with the filling in it for the savory cake. Hard to explain, but kind of a stuffed bread/loaf. Something that could be frosted with a cream cheese and still taste good. Would anyone have any thoughts/ideas on how I could pull this off? Any ideas, no matter how far fetched would be appreciated. Thanks

8 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:03am
post #2 of 9

Use a bread dough. Layer it ito a pan like a pie crust. Fill it like any terrine. Put a top layer on and fold over the dough and seal it.

It could be Italian. Or a delicious one would be roasted vegetables. That would be excellent served at room temp.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #3 of 9

I guess you could do a stuffed bread, but how would you cut into the bottom layer to serve without it collapsing (I'm imagining what happens with a calzone- the stuffing cooks down and becomes more liquidy) A hollowed out cake/bread stuffed with savory ingredients would no longer be stable once cut and your dessert cake layer would be at risk of sitting in meat/veggie juice. icon_surprised.gif

I suppose you could make a quiche and pipe sour cream around the edge...you could make a 2+ tier quiche "cake" with different quiche combinations (each tier a different kind of quiche)

IMO the idea of trying to do the savory and sweet in one cake is just not appealing...Of course I'm someone who can't stand for certain food items to touch on my plate and I absolutely cannot have my dinner roll to get soggy with food juices. icon_lol.gif

semery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
semery Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the idea of the terrine. I am going to strongly consider that. Would have to do couple practice ones to see what flavors would work best together. The top layer would be held up with dowels and before eating the top layer would be removed. I would never think of having them actually sitting on each other so the top layer would be at risk of falling into the bottom layer.

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 9

I'm just going to throw this out there.......I think that it's a great idea but instead of a stuffed bread (which, like stated, might deflate) why not like a rolled bread? My mother used to make sausage bread, she would roll the dough flat, layer the ingrediants and then re-roll. The "stuffing" didn't cook down and the exterior was pretty solid. You might have to make a few (because they'd be "rolls" ) and lay them together....I don't know was just thinking that a rolled bread didn't have the "calzone"effect. Hope this helps!

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 30 May 2011 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 9

Another idea would be to take slice bread horizontally into three or four layers and fill each layer with a different cold filling, like ham, chicken, and egg salad. Spread each layer with a thin layer of butter to keep them from getting soggy when you fill them. I have seen this done in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Frost with softened cream cheese, and when you slice it it gives a pretty presentation.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 30 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 9

I once made a round meatloaf, which I 'iced' with mashed potatoes (thickened with cream cheese). I put mashed potato roses on it, and made a ketchup/cream cheese paste that I used to pipe fancy scrollwork on the side. It was a joke for a friend that doesn't like sweets, but it looked so lovely, no one knew it was savory. It truly looked like cake. It sliced well, tasted great, and oddly enough I've had several requests for it.

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:50am
post #8 of 9

WOW! Both ideas posted after mine are AWESOME, I'll have to remember them, thanks ladies!! Good luck!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:42am
post #9 of 9

Great ideas! Just throwing this out there, but I've seen whole cheeses used instead of cake. Google "cheese wedding cake". Some of them are really beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%