Smbc Disaster!

Baking By msc2006 Updated 28 May 2011 , 1:40am by jules5000

msc2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msc2006 Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what I did wrong while trying t make SMBC forthe first time. I followed the recipe perfectly, got the egg whites to exactly 160 degrees, beat them to stiff peaks, used room temp. butter....but when I started it mixing it together...it never went through that "soupy" stage that it is supposed to go through before it all melds together...it kind of just stayed looking whipped...and it tasted like all butter...horrible! What did I do wrong? Thanks all! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 28 May 2011 , 12:12am
post #2 of 5

If you don't let the eggs cool down a bit before adding the butter and/or the butter is too soft, the smbc becomes soupy. However, it usually whips up fine if you let it keep going for a while, so maybe someone else will be able to offer some insight. As for the taste, you are supposed to add some flavoring to it, such as vanilla.

Perhaps you should post the recipe you used to make sure the proportions and procedure are right.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 12:14am
post #3 of 5

I didn't think that you made the syrup for the SMBC? I don't know other than I watched a video this past week on IMBC and then found a recipe for SMBC to compare them and the recipe didn't say anything about cooking the syrup? I think maybe you must mean the IMBC. I haven't made either. Good luck and I am sure that someone will answer you soon. icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:06am
post #4 of 5

Did you use the paddle for your mixer when you added the butter? It does work best. I don't know that I've ever really gotten the soupy stage persay but it has looked somewhat curdled at some point when beating in the butter. As a PP said, please post your recipe as not all SMBC recipes are the same and some taste very buttery. I use the recipe posted buy FromScratchSF and it's fantastic and not buttery.

@Jules5000 - SMBC doesn't use a syrup. Unlike IMBC where you make a syrup and then pour it over the egg whites as you beat them, here you heat the egg whites and sugar over simmering double boiler, whisking to dissolve the sugar and heat the egg whites to 160F (not cooking them) and then you beat them in the mixer until stiff.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:40am
post #5 of 5

Thank you Pmarks0, I thought that I had remembered what I watched on the video and read. You just confirmed it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%