Need Help For A Stacked Cake... Masonite Board/topsy Turvy

Decorating By SarahL4683 Updated 28 May 2011 , 4:35am by SarahL4683

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 3

I offered to make a birthday cake for my besties 30th and somehow it turned in to a 3 tier cake! So, I'm trying out my new masonite cake board for the base, and I'm wondering how exactly I use it... Do I put the cake directly on the masonite board or do I put it on cake cardboard and attach it to the masonite? And if I attach it, what do I use to attach it? I know the masonite is reusable, so what will secure my cake without ruining my board for future use? I plan on using cake cardboard and plastic dowels to stack the tiers, with a wooden down through the middle.

I should also mention this is going to be my first topsy turvy, so if anyone has anyone "i wish i would've known..." tips from their experiences, I'd really appreciate it. I've read/watched numerous tutorials but ya never know how it's going to work out until you dive in!

2 replies
sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 3

I just did this, so I know I can help! I covered my masonite board with the special cake foil stuff, and put some plastic "feet" on the bottom to give some space for my fingers to lift it. Since I was using fondant, I covered the bottom tier as usual on a cardboard. When I put it all on the masonite board, I smeared a little buttercream on the bottom to keep it from sliding. Royal icing is also a good choice, but the buttercream did fine. It was so heavy, I don't think it was going anywhere! Everything came off and the masonite is perfect to use again, not even a grease spot!

I used SPS, so I didn't have a wooden dowel, but it traveled perfectly, all stacked. But I hope you have some help, because it was super heavy! Good luck with your first topsy turvy, you'll learn so much!

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:35am
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I'm excited/nervous but I got all the tiers stacked and crumb coated tonight so I'll have a full day tomorrow for things to go wrong! I wasn't sure if buttercream would be strong enough... I might stick with royal so I don't give myself a heart attack during delivery.

And yes, I have a helper. The bottom tier alone is already super heavy so I know this one is going to be a beast!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%