Next Great Baker Is Casting Again

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 12:32pm by DeliciousDesserts

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:12am
post #1 of 165

I got an invitation to apply for the next season of Next Great Baker. They said they're looking for a higher skill level than last season, so who knows what that means? Maybe they're admitting that it's not a show for amateur bakers.

I think the application was the same one as last season, you have to fill out what kinds of things stress you out and what ingredient you would be if you were an ingredient icon_rolleyes.gif You also have to go to New York for 4-5 weeks right in the middle of wedding season, so I told them thanks but no thanks, I'd have a posse of angry brides trying to kill me if I skipped out on making their cakes icon_eek.gif

164 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:22am
post #2 of 165

Congrats on getting an invite! That's crazy that they are shooting in the middle of wedding season! I'd imagine that they will have a hard time casting the show, since most bakers will be in the same spot as you are.

costumeczar Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:56am
post #3 of 165

Thanks, but it isn't really an honor or anything. icon_smile.gif I think that at this point they're asking anyone who has a cake page on facebook to just get people to apply. I was more interested in them saying that it isnt going to be a search for an amateur necessarily, since they did say that last time, and it apparently didn't turn out that way. Also that they didn't mention Buddy at all, but someone else who also got the invitation said that they did tell her that the "prize" was to work with him. I don't know why they would think that would entice anyone to apply...Closing my business and moving to New Jersey isn't on my list of goals for this year icon_rolleyes.gif

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 165

So, they are going to give the show a second season. I hope that they improve the format, but we'll have to see. Good luck to all the bakers who apply. I'll stick with Amazing Wedding Cakes and Fabulous Cakes. icon_smile.gif

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 29 May 2011 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 165

I cannot imagine working for Buddy, they couldnt pay me enough to get yelled at all day. I am sure that isnt how it really is, but that is surely how they portray it on the show. I dont paticularly care for his style of decorating, does anyone else share my thoughts???

costumeczar Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmamma

I cannot imagine working for Buddy, they couldnt pay me enough to get yelled at all day. I am sure that isnt how it really is, but that is surely how they portray it on the show. I dont paticularly care for his style of decorating, does anyone else share my thoughts???

I wouldn't have any desire to work there. That would be some contest in hell that you'd have to win for that to be a prize. I like his wedding cakes, but the idea of taking 4-5 weeks to move to New York for the filming, then if you did "win" to live there to work for him is just a no thank you situation.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 165

The internship at Carlo's Bakery is just a "bonus" that you could declinethe prize is $50,000.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 165

After watching last season, I would be seriously embarrassed to be on that show. I mean they treated the whole thing like a big joke. But then again, that is how Cake Boss is. Never liked him, the show or most of his cakes. Too much fake drama and yelling for me. It will be interesting though to see who would actually go on a second seaon of his. And like previous posters...if you have made it far enough to establish your own business who on earth is going to give that up to be an intern with him. Maybe he should be looking for real amateurs...post flyers at Michaels looking for Wilton course students....LOL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 165

I'm thinking, 50,000 for 4-5 weeks of bs that a lot of people get on a regular basis....and the "opportunity to work at Carlo's Bakery" (most definitely could opt out of that one)...unless you had orders on the books for that time, I think it'd be a great opportunity. Even for those that don't win, their name as well as their bakery's name will have much more exposure than before. I'm thinking of all the contestants from various shows, winners and non-winners, I've googled their places to see their stuff (some, I found to be right here on CC too).

Unlimited Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 165

$50k divided by 5 weeks = $10k per week.

Unless you already had 10 $1000 wedding cakes booked per week, why wouldn't anyone consider the five week filming process? (Especially if you were more talented than the amateurs and could win!)

all4cake Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 165

If those dates were booked, I know I wouldn't cancel them to enter. But, if they were open, I'd give it a shot.

10k a week...I could hang being yelled at and scoopin' crud from the grease trap.

boot camp...they get yelled at, right? I don't think an enlistee gets 50k a year. Just pretend you're in boot camp or somethin' and tell yourself..."this won't last forever....just a month...just a month..."

Unlimited, are you in?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 165

A loud HELL NO would i go on that show. i applied last season and was super bummed i didn't get picked - until i saw the show. ug, what a trainwerck. icon_rolleyes.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 165

For $50k for 5 weeks. I'd give it a shot. But I'm in nursing school in an accelerated program and I don't think they'd consider that to be a valid excuse for missing a bunch of my clinicals during spring term. But it sure would help with my out-of-state tuition that was over $9k for the summer lol.

all4cake and unlimited: I think you should go for it icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Unlimited, are you in?

Yep.

all4cake Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 165

I was considering it until last week's wedding fiasco.

all4cake Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 165

It's all entertainment...kind of like The Great Race or any of those other shows. What was that one, where two people were paired up against a tracker...they had 3 days to make it to the finish before they were tracked down. I'm sure, while they were in it, it seemed all real but from this viewer's perspective, they were like gorillas hiding behind bean sprouts and it was hysterical. Laugh at me for 5 weeks...win or not...I see it as being something fun to do. Being class clown may come in as handy afterall.

Unlimited Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:07pm
post #17 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Laugh at me for 5 weeks...win or not...I see it as being something fun to do.

So are you going to apply?

It seems to me that other challenge-type shows are a lot more challengingand they're only for a $10,000 prize... not worth it. $50k thumbs_up.gif .

all4cake Posted 29 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 165

I did apply. I've yet to video myself though. This mustache....(Shakespeare scene..."Out damn spot" comes to mind)...It just keeps showing up.

costumeczar Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 165

I'm booked and I won't cancel orders regardless of the money involved, I don't need that kind of aggravation. I am seriously not the kind of person who enjoys being followed around and filmed. I can't stand it when my cat decides to follow me around and stares at me, I can only imagine how much I would hate it to have a camera crew following me.

I also saw that Sylvia Weinstock is doing some kind of competition show premiering tonight on WEtv. I'll watch that, then the one that comes after. That show alway has some weird advice on it, like the 48 dowels for a 4-tiered cake, and decorating with black fondant in the dark because it fades so fast ??? icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:17am
post #20 of 165

AAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sylvia Weinstock quote of the year: "Fondant is a cheap commercial product that people use because they can't do a smooth buttercream." HAHAHAHAHA!

all4cake Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #21 of 165

She is adorable!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #22 of 165

Yup, got that invitation as well. Thought about it, but won't be applying.

For me, it's more a case of having to find someone to take my place for 6 weeks to care for my kids. My husband can't take that kind of time off from work, even though he has a great job. Plus it runs into the start of school for us here. My baby is starting 1st gr and oldest is entering Middle School. Big transitions for them, and I don't want to miss that.

It just doesn't fit with my life right now. Still, the $50k would be sweet if ya win!!

Swede-cakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:16am
post #23 of 165

costumeczar, that quote is priceless!! Love it!

Unlimited Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:21pm
post #24 of 165

As of today, I've found 85 public You Tube auditions for Next Great Baker Season 2. I've compiled a list, if anyone wants to check out the possible contestants:

(ChefShaunaPetty)
(Dacakelady09)
(nicolemeger32)
(teague070icon_cool.gif - "Cake, Hope & Love" - Ohio
Abel Garza (LEBA121)
Adrienne Fraaza (kzoocakeescape) "The Cake Escape" - Michigan
Amanda Hoffman (pinkamanda26)
Amber (AW0017) Awardia
Andrea Macy (amacyngbaker)
Angela Pratt (mormongurl8445)
Annette Johnson (AAnnetteJohnson)
Anyatta (thebaker3icon_cool.gif
Becky Guidry (sslcakes)
Bree Miller (NGB2BreeMiller)
Brooke Eggleston (Bashton)
Cassandra Caruso (fairysweetcakes) - New York
Cheryl Wester (CherylWester)
Christy Vega-Gluch (ccgirl1310) "Phx. Cake Co." - Arizona
Courtney Price (CamiraeNGB)
Cynthia Knox (cakesbycynthiashop) - Maryland
Elisse Marie Rivera (elissemrivera) - Florida
Felicia (sweetfelicia)
Gabrielle Wagner (DomesticGoddess13)
Jacqueline Wautlet (TheJacquiewautlet)
Jay (azkickasskakes) - Arizona
Jaye Norris (TheCakewars) "Cake Kingdom" - Florida
Jazzy Cakes (emaurice1)
Jenna Pardo (JennaPardo)
Jennifer Johnson (yokoono122icon_cool.gif
Jessica Adams? (cakebakinmama)
Jessica Bouren (cakeambition) - Michigan
Jill Myrick (jillmyrick)
Karen Matamoros (enchanting210)
Kate Duske (HoneyBadgerKake)
Kathy Joss? (Kalalilys) "Lily Lane Cakes" - Virginia
Katie Cleveland (katiescakesaz)
Kelly Clark (1uninxtc)
Keri Trbovich (jmtrbovich)
Kim Trahan (kimtrahanss)
La Rita Lees (Larita334)
Laura Koenig (lkoenig07)
Laura Lynch (mslauralynch)
Lauren Smith (lrnblk39470)
Lenore Pissonick? (ChefLenore)
Lily G (lilygisthengb)
Lisa Falcone (kmf427)
Lisa Menjivar (LMenji1) - Indiana
Marquita Taylor (honeylove81980)
Mary Alexander (cakewhmzy)
Mary Burroughs (MaryBurroughs)
Mary Painter? (livelaughbake) - N. Carolina
Megan Hart (LaDeeDahsPittsburgh)
Melissa Paul (mpaul530icon_cool.gif
Michelle (michelleflore7) - New Jersey
Minerva Vazques (chefmini565)
Molly Simons (mollysimons)
Monica N (iamthemonica)
Nancy Villarreal (nancey1979)
Nick (nmc1143) - New York
Noell Martin (noellmakescakes)
Pam Vickers (pvsweets)
Rachel Huff (raerae6499)
Robert Deluca (MrBobbyDBaker) & (RyanTsarsis)
Ryan Cimorelli (rcimorelli)
Sarah Bell (Bells719)
Sarah Halterman (jbfiddler)
Sarah Paulinski (jjcupcakeicon_cool.gif - Texas
Sarah Tucker? (frogtwins19)
Shannon Stubbs (shannonstubbs1)
Shantal (shakarbakery) & (shantalita2) - California
Sharon White (scwhite18icon_cool.gif
Sheila Comer (sheilaNGB) & (gomountainguru)
Shelly (shellyrsm) - Colorado
Sonja Cordova (EverlastingSweets)
Stella Kotsatos-Angelo (bga30) "The Cake Boutique" - Ohio
Tanisha Blanchard? (mrsTooSweetT)
Tara Konitshek (TheCupcakeCornerSD) - California
Taylor Murphy (tmurph10100)
Tenile Kessinger (tenile76)
Tonya Kiddy? (MrsKiddyscakes) - Illinois
Tracey? TKGiesbers (dlphnlady)
Vic Trent (dietrichvic) - Philippines
Victoria Parsons (1clevercupcake)
____ Grace McClay? (78Somoan)

all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:46pm
post #25 of 165

I may have gotten mine in too late or they're just TRYING to get some usable footage...

which one of the many is you unlimited???

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:05pm
post #26 of 165

Oh man, I love Buddy and his style of decorating but what's even better is the way Carlo's stuff tastes! The cannolis are out of this world IMO, and I've had several cupcakes wanting to sample their different flavors of cake. I thought it was de-lish! But who really makes Cake Boss worth watching is Grace. At first she really annoyed me, but now she just cracks me up. Sometimes her personality coming out is the best part of the show!

On the other hand, I will never get an invitation to be on an show like that & get the chance to turn it down since I would never want to leave my family for that long, not at this point or anywhere in the near future. So, even if you feel it is beneath you, congrats to those of you who got an invite, just another confirmation that you are better than the average at cake decorating, and a lot of you WAY better. Good luck "all4cake" and "unlimited" and the rest of you applying! I'll be watching!

Swede-cakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #27 of 165

I agree with Sarahbeth3! For those of you CC'ers who are applying, I wish you the best of luck! Hope to hear that one or more of you make it cause I wanna cheer for a "cake family member"!! icon_smile.gif Maybe when my kids are older I'll apply if another chance ever comes my way again.

Btw, all4cakes...is your video on YouTube?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #28 of 165

I wanna see fellow CCer's videos! If you applied for the show, post the links to your you tube!

Jen

all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #29 of 165

I uploaded my videos per instructions. I did ramble qute a bit. I am waiting for them to do whatever editing to them now. I uploaded them to private. I suppose when they're done editing, they'll upload the edited version....I reckon.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:52pm
post #30 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

That show alway has some weird advice on it, like the 48 dowels for a 4-tiered cake, and decorating with black fondant in the dark because it fades so fast ??? icon_confused.gif

Ha ha! I'm sorry but that is just to funny...I'm literally LOL. I want to watch that now! What's it called?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%