Show Me Your Most Beautiful Airbrushing!

Decorating By giraffe11 Updated 29 May 2011 , 3:13am by lorenaortegarox

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:08am
post #1 of 10

I keep hearing about how talented some folks are with airbrushing and how it can be very pretty and add more dimension to certain designs. But all I've ever seen of it (at least that I have known was airbrushing) are the cheap and lazy-looking cakes in the grocery store. You know....the ones with the really garish colors and the bleed over two inches away from the rose it was trying to color. icon_sad.gif
Is anyone on here an airbrush expert? I would love to see some cakes where airbrushing has been used to great effect!

9 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:01am
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

I keep hearing about how talented some folks are with airbrushing and how it can be very pretty and add more dimension to certain designs. But all I've ever seen of it (at least that I have known was airbrushing) are the cheap and lazy-looking cakes in the grocery store. You know....the ones with the really garish colors and the bleed over two inches away from the rose it was trying to color. icon_sad.gif
Is anyone on here an airbrush expert? I would love to see some cakes where airbrushing has been used to great effect!

Ooh, I know just the ones - Cake Wrecks is full of them, LOL. Airbrushing is one of those things that just looks awful unless you're very good at it. (I'll stay away from airbrushing I think! icon_wink.gif )

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 10

It is too bad that grocery stores etc. have all the nicest equipment but never teach the people HOW to use it! Gives the airbrush a bad rap! Used properly, you can create beautiful designs on cakes, give depth to flowers and trims, and shading and highlight details!

Like any other cake accessory, you have to learn how to use it....and just point and shoot is not the way to use it! Nor is just filling in the lines like a coloring book...with the coloring often less is more! I love not having to have a dozen different colors of icing....just white....and my airbrush! The shading on a rose, the soft background colors on a sheet cake, adding luster to fondant......can't beat an airbrush!

JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 10

I just got an airbrush and am looking forward to practicing with it. Hopefully I will have cakes to put on here eventually. icon_smile.gif

cakeninja82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeninja82 Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 10

If you want to see some amazeballs airbrushing and a fine example of cake perfection check out debbiedoescakes on flickr.....prepare to have your jaw hit the floor!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiedoescakesnet/

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 10

http://cakelava.com/art_gallery.html

The Cakelava dude in Hawaii does amazing work. Many of his cakes that look like colored fondant are white cakes he's painted.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

The Cakelava dude in Hawaii does amazing work. Many of his cakes that look like colored fondant are white cakes he's painted.

Has this man been on any cake shows??/ OMG I would love to see him work! I am such a huge fan of his cakes icon_redface.gif

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

Has this man been on any cake shows??/ OMG I would love to see him work! I am such a huge fan of his cakes icon_redface.gif

He did a Sponge Bob Challenge and came in 2nd his first try. His Challenge cake was completely white and he air brushed it all. He teaches some classes. Wish he'd come near me!

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 28 May 2011 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the links. Some of those really are amazing, although I don't think I will ever be that good!
I know I see a lot of people that draw pictures with them and some of those cakes are really pretty, but I was never any good at drawing.
I think if I were to use an airbrush it would be for shading or adding sheen to something, as a poster above suggested. I just want to see some more examples.......I can't really find any good references for learning, either. Hmmmmmm..........

lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #10 of 10

i just ordered my airbrush machine, so excited to have it come in and practice! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%