Help Making Sf Frosting Crust

Baking By ashleyandben Updated 28 May 2011 , 4:04pm by jules5000

ashleyandben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandben Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 9

Okay so I wanted to make a sugar free cake for a friend. I found the below recipe on CC that actually sounds good for the frosting. I would like my frosting to crust over some so I can put some modeling chocolate decorations on. Can you tell me how I can adjust the following recipe to make it crust. And if it can not be altered how will my modelng chocolate be effected by the frosting. TIA

8 replies
ashleyandben Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 9

oops, heres the recipe

Ingredients
1 pint Whipping Cream
1 box Sugar Free Pudding
16 ounces Cream Cheese
3 TBSP Splenda
Instructions
Whip Whipping Cream in cold bowl until stiff (chill paddle too).
Add softened cream cheese, pudding mix and Splenda. Mix on medium speed until well blended.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:07am
post #3 of 9

ashleyandben, have you tried this frosting recipe before with reg. sugar and all? The reason I ask is that recently I had the experience of accidentally overwhipping whipping cream and I am afraid after reading these directions that you will end up with a mess. Here is what I would suggest. I do not know if this recipe will crust or not, but in order for you not to end up with a mess on your hands to start with I would sugges that you whip the cream cheese and pudding mix together and splenda. Beat it enough to get it fluffy and light and airy. then add your whipping cream and mix it maybe on medium speed until it gets incorporated into the other mixture and then I would whip on high till you get the stiff peaks that you want.

I really do not think that this is going to crust, because one of the things that helps buttercream crust is not in this recipe--shortening. the other thing is meringue powder.

I found this recipe on here and you of course will have to make some alterations in the sugar department, but you might try this recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

I would suggest putting the splenda in a food processor and getting it finer that way like powdered sugar and use it instead. It does not have the cream cheese in it.

ashleyandben Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:10am
post #4 of 9

Thanks jules5000 for the hints. I have used meringue powder and dream whip in my frostings before. Does anyone know if I add 3 TBS of one of them whether that will help with crusting? I'm just worried if i dont find a crusting sugar free recipe that my modeling chocolate decorations will melt. Am I wrong?

jules5000 Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #5 of 9

ashleyandben, did you see in the recipe that it called for meringue powder? I guess it doesn't need the shortening to crust after all. I had always thought that, that was what helped it to crust. I guess that you could put sugarfree crusting icing in the search engine on CC recipes and see if it produces anything. good luck. It would be interesting to know what works for you.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:16am
post #6 of 9

Just to help, the crust comes from powdered sugar and a fat solid, not from meringue powder, which is only processed egg whites. i don't think the recipe as posted will ever crust, especially with the whipped cream as the fat.

i don't know of a crusting sugar free icing, so i cant help point you in the correct direction, but i did want to clarify what makes icing crust.

good luck,

jen

jules5000 Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 9

I have been told different things. Shortening was one of them, but then a recipe that I found on cc using whipping cream said to use the meringue powder to help it crusts and this person claimed that the icing did indeed crust, but it had not shortening in it so I thought well maybe I am wrong. Thank you for helping to set us straight on what it is that crusts.

ashleyandben Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:59am
post #8 of 9

Okay so I looked every where and can't find a crusting sugar free frosting recipe. So if I use my recipe how do you think my modeling chocolate will hold up on the cake. Will my decorations bleed into the cake and slide off the side? I will be keeping the cake stored in the fridge of course. The decorations on the side would be small cherry blossom flowers, not sure if the will just slide right off.

jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 9

I honestly can't answer you from a perspective of having done this before, but I would think that unless they are real heavy decorations. that you wouldn't have a problem. Fondant sticks to most stuff pretty easily with just a dab of water so if you keep them really thin and small I would imagine that they would work. I don't think that your icing necessarily has to crust for them to stay? But hopefully you might get a knowledgeable answer on here soon and we will both learn from it.

From my perspective my mother has diabetes and she can have sugar, but she pretty much regulates her diabetes on diet, pills and weight control. She can have sugar and does. She just cuts back elsewhere when the situation comes up. next weekend will be my daughter's wedding. I am sure that she will have a piece, but she may not have any dessert the night before at the rehearsal dinner or she may not have mints. Just one piece of cake and punch. I guess the reason I bring this up is because if the person you are making it for is diabetic they may be able to handle one piece of cake with icing. Just not any more than that. So you may be worrying for nothing. Have you already checked with the person about that or you already know that they can't have any sugar? I don't know if this is to be a surprise, but if it is maybe you can ask another close friend or a family member if they know if they can have sugar at all. Tell them why you are asking and maybe they will help you make sure that this person does not eat something else with sugar and allow them self to have one piece of cake with reg. buttercream. They could always scrape it off if it was too much. Just some ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%