Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By kneenah Updated 27 May 2011 , 6:28pm by cab333

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 21

anyone know a good affordable hi ratio shortening? I want to try Sharon Zambito's butter cream but the Sweetex is expensive...

20 replies
MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 21

The best price I've found (I only comparison shopped a few places) is with Country Kitchen Sweet Art. The 50 lb box. I know sounds like a massive quantity, BUT once you go there with the high ratio shortening you will NEVER go back!!!!

As a side note: When it arrives I pre-measure the entire 50lb box into the amount I use per batch. It's so much easier (& neater) than dragging out the giant cube of shortening each time I make frosting.

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:50am
post #3 of 21

thanks i am going to look into it.. 50pounds it alot of shortening..lol..i would go half with my friend..

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #4 of 21

Where are you located? I doubt you're in Canada, but if you are its easy to get here.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:09am
post #5 of 21

I also order 50 lb at a time. When i buy it locally from my cake store it's $17 for 3 lb so, even with the shipping, the 50 lb is much cheaper!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #6 of 21

If you dont want to buy 50 lbs of it you can get smaller quantities at Global Sugar Art and at Sugar Delites. But Global will not ship in the warmer months! Or you can also try to find a Sysco or supplier locally and go half with someone. I recently did that and got to meet a nice lady to boot!

But if your making atleast 4 to 5 cakes a month, then get the whole thing because you can freeze it if you want to and it does go pretty quickly!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

If you dont want to buy 50 lbs of it you can get smaller quantities at and at Sugar Delites. But Global will not ship in the warmer months! Or you can also try to find a Sysco or supplier locally and go half with someone. I recently did that and got to meet a nice lady to boot!
But if your making atleast 4 to 5 cakes a month, then get the whole thing because you can freeze it if you want to and it does go pretty quickly!

I didn't know that you can freeze hi-ratio! How do you wrap it up to prevent freezer burn?

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:57am
post #8 of 21

Does anyone one know what the amount of trans fats need to be in order to be considered "high ratio" shortening? My local grocery store carries an off brand it's label reads 3grams trans fats. Would that work for high ratio?
TIA

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:02am
post #9 of 21

I don't know what the #'s are, but it's higher than 3g. I've used the 3g before & it was certainly alot better than Crisco. When I finally decided to give hi-ratio a try I found the other stuff didn't hold a candle to hi-ratio.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:18am
post #10 of 21

Hi-ratio is not just about trans fat. It has to do with the emulsifiers in the fat which effect how they absorb liquid etc.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:00am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewordsoflife

Does anyone one know what the amount of trans fats need to be in order to be considered "high ratio" shortening? My local grocery store carries an off brand it's label reads 3grams trans fats. Would that work for high ratio?
TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Hi-ratio is not just about trans fat. It has to do with the emulsifiers in the fat which effect how they absorb liquid etc.

Just what sillywabbitz said. icon_smile.gif

It's unlikely that your grocery store will carry hi-ratio shortening. Criso and house brands are all purpose shortenings, while hi-ratio shortenings are specialty/commercial products.

And SweetexZ is trans fat free AND a hi-ratio shortening.

HTH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:48am
post #12 of 21

Wow I get mine at a local cake store for $2.75 a pound. Country kitchensa com has it three pounds for$ 8.15.

Debbie222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie222 Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:53am
post #13 of 21

Hi,

Can you please explain to me why you use high-ratio shortening? I used it once and it made my icing so "greasy", I never used it again. I have most of a 10 lb tub just sitting there. It left an awful "mouth-feel".

Obviously, other people have good experiences with it....

Thx,
Debbie

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:05am
post #14 of 21

I have never had a problem with a greasy taste from Hi ratio. That is one of the reasons I use it. It contains emulsifiers that absorb the liquids and make for a nice creamy frosting. Maybe you are using to much Hi ratio at one time in your recipe. I use two pounds powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups Hi ratio, 1/2 cup salted butter, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla and 1/3 cup water. Whip until light and fluffy. You might give it another try. I will never go back to Crisco or any other shortening.

Debbie222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie222 Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:12am
post #15 of 21

Thanks Sweettreat! I don't remember the recipe I used but perhaps my proportions were not correct. I will give it another try with your recipe.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:23am
post #16 of 21

Penguin Shortening is supposed to be high ratio, and is less expensive, although they also sell in 50 lb. bulk. I think Bronwen Weber uses this shortening.

sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 21

sweettreat101,
There are different brands of hi-ratio shortening like anything else. SugarShack recommends Sweetex which I'm still wanting to try but like you I don't want to pay shipping. My local cake supply sells a different brand of hi-ratio for $8 for 2 lbs.

When I was in Canada I bought hi-ratio from bulk barn and it was 1/2 the price and I have purchased one other brand from a cake shop in the area. All 3 brands behavior differently and have a slightly different texture.

For cost, bulk barn was the best, for usability I like my regular cake shop. My goal is to hunt down the local restaurant supplier and see if they sell Alpine or Sweetex and try those next. Most people swear by Sweetex with the trans fat still in iticon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:01pm
post #18 of 21

I realize there are different brands and I have tried several as the cake supply store I purchase it from has switched several times trying to make it more cost effective for the buyer. In my opinion I see no difference at least in the ones I have tried. I would hate to throw away ten pounds of Hi ratio without giving it another try. If I don't like it after that then all's well throw it out. I have found you really need to beat the frosting to get that light airy consistency. I usually set my mixer on medium and let it mix for about ten minutes the frosting usually doubles in size.

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:31pm
post #19 of 21

Just curious is high ratio shortening, combined with meringue powder of course....gives a better crusting buttercream than regular shortening?

sillywabbitz Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 21

I don't use meringue powder Cab333, so I don't know but hi-ratio shortening has a better mouth feel, less greasy, smoother in texture and holds up well to heat so all in all it's a better quality of shortening.

Now that said people have wonderful luck with Indydebi's recipe which uses crisco and dreamwhip. I've tried it and it tastes great but I am more comfortable working with SugarShack's recipe for smoothing and flavor. So everyone sort of finds the recipes that work best for them. What I like about sugar shacks recipe is that it's considered a crusting buttercream but it never actually gets crusty...you know those little cracks. It easy to smooth but stays soft enough to repair it if you actually get a little nick or something in the frosting.

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks Sillywabbitz (I giggled when I typed that!) I am a little embarrassed to say that the only buttercream recipe I use is Wilton's. I can almost guarantee you that these recipes taste better, and I think I will spend some time this weekend experimenting.

I am looking for a buttercream that will hold well under fondant, and allow me to create a nice crisp edge under the fondant. I have mastered the ganache, but not everyone wants ganache so I do need to find something in this dept that works well for me.

Again, thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%