Freezing Cupcakes?

Baking By snowdaisy822 Updated 30 May 2011 , 5:36am by scp1127

snowdaisy822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowdaisy822 Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone! I am doing a friend's wedding and it's several hours away from me. They have family who lives in my town and are going over for the wedding. So, it is on Saturday, June 4 and they are going over the Thursday before (the 2nd). So I'll need to bake them on the 1st. What would be the best way to keep them fresh? Should I freeze them or just put them in the refrigerator? I am doing a chocolate chai and lemon and raspberry poppyseed. They will both have buttercream frosting. Thank you!

10 replies
MariahS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariahS Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 11

I always freeze my cakes & cupcakes, because I think it tends to end up more moist. I have never frozen them iced though - will you be going to the wedding and icing them there? Or do you want to have them ready when they pick them up on the 2nd? If it were me, and I was icing them there - I would go ahead and freeze them. Not sure what I would do if I wanted to have them iced and ready to be picked up Thursday, I have never finished anything that far ahead but I would imagine they would be ok for 2 days if you package them well (plastic containers with lids?).

Unfortunately, I am pretty much a newbie at the wonderful cake world, so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in for you.

snowdaisy822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowdaisy822 Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 11

I will not be attending the wedding so I am planning on sending them all iced and ready to go.

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 11

Mariah, I've never frozen cupcakes before. How do you do it? Do you just put them in ziplock bags, or wrap them individually? Just curious (they usually don't last long around here with 4 teenage boys) in case I'll need to in the future.

MariahS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariahS Posted 27 May 2011 , 12:00am
post #5 of 11

I just put them in ziplock freezer bags, but they are never in my freezer for more than a week. Longer than that and I might wrap them a few at a time in saran wrap and then put them in the bags.

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 11

Cool, thanks!

Marla1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla1996 Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 11

I started a new business that requires me to store my cupcakes for up to a week in the freezer before shipping them. Once they warm up they taste just like normal. I have also done this with wedding cakes.

Melissa545 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa545 Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 11

Marla what type of business requires you to freeze cupcakes for a week?

Marla1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla1996 Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 11

Melissa, it is an online cupcake kit, mostly for children's birthday parties. The kit includes everything you need for them to create their own fun designs. The main difference than other kits is that I am including the cooked cupcake. You can check it out here www.mycupcakekits.com

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:03am
post #10 of 11

Hello I am sitting here making (or trying) to make gelitian bubbles and eating some defrosted leftover cupcakes because i had a sweet tooth, and reading posts.

I always have leftover cupcakes and just toss them in the freezer in "shirt boxes" I place parchment paper over the top before I close the box and they are fine. The cupcakes that I am eating now are about a month old. I forgot they were in there and hey are just as moist as they were when I first made them. Couldn't make an easier late night snack. Just take out the ones that you want. I am going to invest in some of the new cupcake boxes or purchase some of the plastic cupcake boxes from our neighbor hood store they sell them at a reasonable rate and its so much easier and safer than to worry that the box is going to bend or the cupcakes shift.

I don't see any problem with freezing your cupcakes and if you want you can refreeze them at the site and simply take out of the freezer about 45 min before your event. Good luck.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:36am
post #11 of 11

How far do you ship your cupcakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%