Tinting Cake Batter...?

Baking By WhenTalentsCollide Updated 30 May 2011 , 12:11am by jenabbott00

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 9

I wanted to do a vanilla cake tinted blue and red. It was 2 11x15 pans and mixed up 3 batters (2 for blue and 1 for red). When I started adding the Wilton gel dyes it just didn't seem to get a deep color. I ended up with a light blue and red almost pink.

I didn't keep adding more dye cause I was afraid the taste could be affected or the batter in general. I did use the no taste red but was still worried.

Should I have just kept adding dye until I got the desired affect or can you actually overbeat your batter as well...?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 9

Im sorry I have heard different things about the red food color but have yet to make a bright red cake (besides red velvet)

I made a green cake and orange (the halloween haunted house) and I did add color till I was happy. I used americolor though.

Hope someone can help you out.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 9

you can overbeat your cake and it will be "tough". Just gently stir the color in until you're satisfied.

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 9

for the red, make the batter a strong pink first then add the red. I use Americolor also.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 9

You can definately overbeat your cake batter. Use Americolor instead of Wilton colors. They give you a much more vibrant color.

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 9

Has anyone used the Wilton gel colors? I just went and bought the gel colors and am making a cake on monday for my twins preschool and plan on doing a rainbow cake. Am I only going t be able to get pale colors with them? I don't think Joann's or michael's sells americolor and the supply store I go to is closed till Tuesday.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 29 May 2011 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 9

jeanabott00, why don't you try mixing the color into your liquid before putting it in the batter? I've not done this before but it might help you adjust your color to what you want without overbeating the batter. Just remember to make the color darker than what you want it to be in the end because it should lighten up once you add the dry ingredients. Good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2011 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa7

jeanabott00, why don't you try mixing the color into your liquid before putting it in the batter? I've not done this before but it might help you adjust your color to what you want without overbeating the batter. Just remember to make the color darker than what you want it to be in the end because it should lighten up once you add the dry ingredients. Good luck.

excellent suggestion on both points. thumbs_up.gif

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:11am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa7

I'll keep that in mind but I don't think it'll work for what I'm doing. I am making it like tye dye so I'll be using multiple colors. I'm doing 2 10inch cakes and 19 cupcakes. I guess the kids will be excited even with lighter colors. I'll have to keep the americolor in mind for next time since I can't get my hands on it before I make the cake tomorrow evening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%