Bakery Interview Help

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 26 May 2011 , 4:18pm by Unlimited

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there! I'm going Tuesday for an interview at a bakery! Yea!!! I'm going to be taking in pictures of my cakes, but I was thinking it might be nice to take in a cake to "show off" my skills too. I'm not sure if I'll be doing a test cake there or not, but I'll be prepared to do that as well.

So my question is, does anyone have any have any suggestions on how I could decorate the cake? Would you suggest fondant, buttercream, both? This is not a grocery store bakery, it's a "real" bakery (not that grocery store bakeries aren't "real", but you know what I mean! lol)

Thanks in advance for your input!!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 4

At our bakery, we tell the applicant what we want to see on the test cake. It is always butter cream so we can see their icing skills, and we ask for roses, scroll work, a border and want them to write on it so we can see their writing. If you are used to special spatulas/equipment, I would recommend you bring your own. They will supply everything, but it may be different then what you are used to.
Bringing in a portfolio is also recommended. Good luck!!

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 4

Do you think something like this would work? (in a one tier) Or should I stick to a plain buttercream cake with some piping and buttercream roses?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_U56yhynHDXY/TFo2enT6IZI/AAAAAAAAB0g/DgqSs-eu8YY/s1600/two-tier-anemone-cake.jpg

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfullysweet

but I was thinking it might be nice to take in a cake to "show off" my skills too.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

Most bakeries don't really care what you can do in your own sweet time at home, they'd rather see what you can do for them in real time and train you to do things their way.

They might not care to see your portfolio either, so don't be offended if they won't look. I'd bring it along with you, just in case they ask.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%