Red Or Dark Colored Fondant

Decorating By dchinda Updated 25 May 2011 , 7:21pm by dchinda

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 6

So, I had trouble again coloring my MMF red. The consistency change & it lost its elasticity. I colored my MMF with red color & let it rest overnight so it could darken but I still had to add more red. I tried adding more PS since it seems a little too sticky & then it just lost all elasticity. Any suggestions as to what I can add to bring back the elasticity in MMF? TIA

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 6

For deep colors I'd really suggest that you buy the commercial pre-colored stuff.

dchinda Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 6

I just hate the tast of the store bought fondant, but I might have to reconsider with all trouble lately. My white fondant is the perfect consistency, but once I started adding a bunch of a dark color it turns into a mess.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 6

Have you considered investing on an airbrush machine? I dont use it often but it does save you quite a bit of time when trying to achieve those dark colors. im sure you can find a kit for under 100 dollars. Very well worth the investment.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 6

Have you tried powdered colors. I use for red, black and brown. Works great.

here is the site that helped me with coloring fondant.

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-color-fondant-to-deep-rich-hue.html

dchinda Posted 25 May 2011 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, an airbrush machine is next on my wish list. icon_biggrin.gif
I will for sure order some powdered colors in the mean time until I am able to purchase an airbrush machine. Thank you very much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%