Gluten Free

Baking By believer Updated 28 May 2011 , 8:12pm by samgill99

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking for a recipe for a Gluten Free cake for a babyshower. Any ideas. Can I use the WASC recipe but use betty crocker gluten free mix?

Thanks!

5 replies
coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #2 of 6

I am gluten free. I haven't tried modifying the Betty Crocker mixes personally. But just wanted to let you know they only make 1 9 inch round, not 2, so if you do modify it you will need to double the number of mixes. I'm curious to know if it turns out for you.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #3 of 6

Another idea is to buy Tom Sawyer or Better Batter gluten free flours and use them in the recipes you already have. These are excellent gluten free flour blends, which contain gelatin or pectin to serve as binding agents. They work much better than other gluten free AP flours. It's a 1 for 1 substitution and I've had great luck with both flours. They are very pricey though, about $20 for a 5lb bag.

jbs_caketoppers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbs_caketoppers Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 6

What ever flower mic you decide to use, just few little tips I've learned making gluten free cakes. sift the "flour" many times, at least 4 times, more you sift it more air it gives the cake, also add in the dough towards the end 3 big table spoons of apple sauce - or as they call it "apple butter" and mix it well.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 May 2011 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 6

I have a friend who needs gluten free and I make the Betty Crocker. I think it's delicious. But it is wayyy more expensive to make, but worth it.

samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 6

Have you heard of quinoa chocolate cake? its in the book "Quinoa 365" and it is awesome. It uses cooked quinoa in place of the flour. i've made it once and i was really surprised it tasted so good. it came out moist and chocolately and you would never know there is no flour in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%