What Is Gum Tex

Decorating By marywood Updated 26 May 2011 , 12:47am by shanter

marywood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marywood Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 4

also, many cakedecorators use 80/20 gum paste/fondant....why? any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. happy cakes

3 replies
sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #2 of 4

I've wondered what gum tex is too......I know that the gum paste/fondant ratio is used because although fondant does dry hard (most of the time) it is still pretty fragile. Gum paste is supposed to dry rock hard. Adding gum paste gives extra stability to the shape or design because it helps it to dry harder. Mixing with fondant also allows for a little time to make the shapes and things as gum paste dries out very quickly. Hope this helped!

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:30am
post #3 of 4

I've wondered what gum tex is too......I know that the gum paste/fondant ratio is used because although fondant does dry hard (most of the time) it is still pretty fragile. Gum paste is supposed to dry rock hard. Adding gum paste gives extra stability to the shape or design because it helps it to dry harder. Mixing with fondant also allows for a little time to make the shapes and things as gum paste dries out very quickly. Hope this helped!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #4 of 4

I copied this from a Wilton page:
"Wilton-gum-tex. essential for easy handling and shaping of gum paste. wilton gum-tex makes gum paste more elastic for easy cutting of petals."

This is a review of Wilton gum-tex on Amazon:
"My cake decorating instructor told me that all gum pastes taste terrible. I tried the Wilton kind and the kind at my local cake decorating supply store and found that to be true. It tastes just awful. I was amazed how bad it was. My teacher recommended a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gum paste to make flowers, but when I added gum paste to my delicious homemade marshmallow fondant, it made the whole thing taste bad. However, in an attempt to save money when I realized how quickly $7-10 a pound for premade gum paste added up, I decided to give this a try and make my own.

At first I was a little disappointed because the container was not very full. More than half full, but less than 2/3. So, you don't get as much as it looks like. And when I started mixing (you mix with powdered sugar and water) it smelled pretty bad. But when I finished mixing and actually tried it I was so HAPPY. It still doesn't taste good, but it tastes very mildly bad. And when you mix it with half fondant, it doesn't make the fondant taste terrible. It just makes it taste like decent fondant instead of great fondant (assuming you're starting out with a great fondant. If you aren't, I'd recommend either the marshmallow fondant or the rolled fondant recipe from Wilton's website).

This stuff is palatable and much cheaper than pre-mixed gum paste. It is a bit tougher to work with, and it doesn't work for everything (sometimes I still have to buy pre-mixed), but I still love it when I can use it."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%