Why Am I Scared To Start Business!

Decorating By Valkstar Updated 26 May 2011 , 3:45pm by kristiemarie

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:19am
post #1 of 11

Just wondering if anyone else has been through this.

I started making cupcakes at home about two years ago....in those 2 years I've perfected my recipes and presentation, and am really happy with my product. I've had my kitchen inspected and am totally legal, and have registered my business name. I've had a few orders by word of mouth and the customers raved about my cakes.

So why can't I get up the nerve to advertise properly icon_confused.gif

I have a full time job with flexible hours so can finish early and get my caking done, and luckily my salary is good so I'm not depending on the cakes.....maybe that's why I'm not doing it! I don't know if I'm more scared of the cupcake business failing or taking off brilliantly so I'd have to reduce my other hours icon_confused.gif

Sorry about all that...I'm trying to get my head straight! icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 11

LOL I could've written your story!! You could be writing about me! I've been baking and decorating for about 2 years (just over) and like you am registered and so on but I don't have the nerve to advertise properly. For me I've put it down to a lack of confidence (even though I'm happy with my recipes and decorating), because every other career path I've taken, I have done some sort of formal training. But with cake decorating, I'm self taught, even though I've done a few short courses and am still doing them, I don't 'feel' qualified.....so I've decide to take my time and work on my portfolio....
Lol even though I did a wedding a couple of weeks ago (through word of mouth), and the feedback from the bride was that she loved how it all looked and tasted.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but I do know how you feel..... icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 11

That could be just it... you don't *have* to so why would you? It's not easy doing this full time and having to depend on it for your livelyhood. Right now you have a legal paid hobby which is great... you're thinking why muck with it. You have your main job that pays the bills and this little side thing is fun and brings in a little money.

You have to decide if it's what you really want, because doing it for real... I mean really jumping in and taking off running and turning it into a viable way to support yourself... takes a TON of time and dedication. It's not fun... at all.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 11

Take the leap. We have all been there. It took me 5 years to finally quit my job of 15 years to open my shop. I baked out of my home and loved it.My husband encouraged me to take that leap. Some things happened on the job that made me realize. I could follow my dreams. My shoip has been open 6 months now and I have never regreted a day. I think I love it more now than ever. Yes it has been tough.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 11

I know what you mean lol

I am now totally legal and my husband keeps saying right Ill take some cards to the local coffee shop and the cafe on his industrial estate but I'm not confident enough at the moment and need to ease myself into it

This last 18mths have been so emotionally draining for me what with my dad having breast cancer and my nan dying a couple of mths back that I really feel I dont want to race in all guns blazing and find myself stressing.

I dont need to make money to keep us going and with helping look after my grandad(plus my own 4 kids) and finding out today my dad might have a tumor on his spine that Im glad I havent advertised properly.

I think when you feel ready to take on more then you will just know in yourself.

MelissaJeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaJeane Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 11

I'm right there with you ladies. I am completely legal but can seem to be able to press the publish button on my website. I have a full time job as well, but I went to college to earn a business degree to be able to run my own business not work in an office.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 11

I'm glad to know I'm not alone icon_lol.gif

I suppose the fact that I'm lucky enough to have my job means I'm lacking that need to push ahead. I do love making my cupcakes though
icon_smile.gif I think I'll just go ahead and get my website and flyers sorted over the next couple of weeks and try and get around my nerves!

Davwattie....I hope your dad gets some good news soon x

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 11

You Can do it! icon_smile.gif You can start as a side business and see where it goes from there.

You've done most of the hard work already! I don't sell cakes but I do have another small business. The thing that helped the most for me to over come my fear of getting started was to write down a business plan.

It's not as scary as it sounds icon_smile.gif It wasn't really very formal, just scribbled in my sketch book, but it really helped me to get moving. I was really afraid of getting started, I was afraid of the unknown, of the mistakes I knew I would make along the way, but as part of my business plan I wrote out all of the obstacles to my goals I could think of (including my own fears and insecurities icon_smile.gif, and that helped me work through my fear and get stared.

There are some great tutorials for writing business plans online, this one was very helpful for me. http://app1.sba.gov/training/sbabp/index.htm

As part of your business plan you can write down small goals with deadlines for the things you want to accomplish today, this week or this month. Set a regular time to sit down and update your goals once a week or once a month icon_smile.gif

I think advertizing in particular can be sort of daunting. It's hard to know where to start, but once you start brainstorming and writing down ideas, it will seem less overwhelming.

Best of luck to you!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:19am
post #9 of 11

I wanted to control my businss so I had my web designer add a calendar to my site. If I want to do one order, I have control. If I want many orders on one day, a free day to do a wedding cake, a day off... I just put booked on the day. If a customer calls and I am too busy, I tell them.

I think if you were sure you could control it, then you may feel better. This way you can work and build your business at your own pace. Before I opened, I was worried that I would get 200 pumpkin pie orders on the day before Thanksgiving. That is just a number I made up. But with an e-commerce site, sometimes I don't know what the orders will be... and they are prepaid. Now I have the availability calendar and I confirm orders by email or phone.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:26am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkstar

Just wondering if anyone else has been through this.

I started making cupcakes at home about two years ago....in those 2 years I've perfected my recipes and presentation, and am really happy with my product. I've had my kitchen inspected and am totally legal, and have registered my business name. I've had a few orders by word of mouth and the customers raved about my cakes.

So why can't I get up the nerve to advertise properly icon_confused.gif

I have a full time job with flexible hours so can finish early and get my caking done, and luckily my salary is good so I'm not depending on the cakes.....maybe that's why I'm not doing it! I don't know if I'm more scared of the cupcake business failing or taking off brilliantly so I'd have to reduce my other hours icon_confused.gif

Sorry about all that...I'm trying to get my head straight! icon_rolleyes.gif

Well I did exactly the same until my other half who had built my whole website took me aside and said look either do it or not. nothing inbetween. I was terrified the day the website went live. with my name, my phone number, my email!!!! I jumped every time the phone rang. It's a confidence thing. I don't think I ever worried about failing - I get more disappointed when work is quiet. but I do this as a full time job. It is tough I won't lie about that. So what you need to think is do i really love doing this? What am I really afraid of? Are you worried it will really take off then you won't be able to cope - well don't worry about any of that. If it really takes off YOU choose what work you want to take as you are working full time. Take on the jobs that you know are wonderful and worth it. Be bespoke!!!! Only take so many commissions a month. Above all enjoy it - honestly you can do it, remember this is YOUR business, YOU decide what you want to do. It will all be fine icon_smile.gif good luck let us know how you get on

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 11

You're scared because its scary!

But if you are confident and don't need the income, it will be so much easier for you. You don't have to worry about getting customers. The ones that come will be an added bonus to your income. The ones that don't you won't have to make cakes for. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%