Cricut Or No Cricut???

Decorating By tomsteph Updated 24 May 2011 , 9:54pm by Pieceofcakebyrita

tomsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsteph Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone tell me if the cricut cake printer is worth having? I have thought about it for sometime now but I'm also seeing it put on craigslist saying they just don't use it much. I know it varies from cake decorator to the next but was wondering how many of you out there have one and if it has been worth the time and your money.

I'm also not real sure what it can do if you can explain it a bit more to me...thanks in advance...

Stephanie

4 replies
leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 5

The cricut is a cutter, It will cut fondant or gumpaste but it doesn't print. It uses image cartridges so it doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer but you are limited to cutting just what you can buy on the cartridges. You can buy a software to use with the cricut to cut other images but that won't be available very much longer.

I have a cricut and I really like it. It took some practice to roll the fondant thin enough for cutting but I've had lots of success with it cutting even small things. There are lots of tutorial videos on youtube that can show you the cricut in action and how to roll out your fondant or gumpaste.

If you're looking for a cutter that can cut any image, I have heard the silhouette is a great machine. It does need to be hooked up to a computer and you will need to buy a special blade for it to cut fondant and gumpaste. It also has a feature where you can use it with a edible image printer, print an image onto gumpaste or icing sheets and then the silhouette will cut it out for you.

JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 5

I find that it takes a lot of time to use it!! I bought one through ebay like late last summer and have only used it once! I really thought about selling but, I always wonder if I'm going to get a cake and will need to use it. I would say no because if I went back in time I probably wouldn't have bought it. I'm more of a hands on person anyways. I really don't ever see any cakes on cake central that looked as though they use it either!

sand_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sand_e Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 5

its is really an idk if you should get it, I bought it when it first came out and i hated it...now I have been using it time to time, but like they said earlier it takes lots of practice to get it to cut well...i still haven't figured it out to cut small objects. I really use it for letters, because i can really choose the size i want. If I was to go back in time i am not sure if i would get it.

Pieceofcakebyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5

I have one and I mostly use it for cupcakes and cutting out logos. Great machine, takes al little bit to get how to use it properly. It makes anything you need to cut that's flat, a dream and it looks very precise. Great machine, expensive but it is really cool. You'll find reason to use it on your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%