Boxes For Leftover Cake?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 25 May 2011 , 3:04pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 18

Hi Everyone,
quick question: do you provide cake boxes for left over cake for weddings?
Thanks, P

17 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 18

I do. I provide a couple of 1/4 sheet cake boxes with a box for the anniversary tier. The cost is minimal, and I think it is a nice touch to provide them.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 18

I do too. I generally leave a box the size of the smallest tier. And for cupcake weddings I leave a couple of cupcake boxes for any spares they have. After their (usually) sizeable spend, as pointed out already the cost is minimal.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 18

I just bring a box for the top tier.

Pebbles1727 Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 18

Anyone else? I think I'm trying to figure out industry standard, LOL. I usually provide a box for a top tier if top tier to be kept. However, I just got a complaint from a wedding coordinator that I did not leave boxES to pack up leftover cake and in the future I need to leave THEM under the wedding cake table. I don't have those kind of boxes on hand, as my cakes are usually tiered or taller than 6 inches because of the toppers. So, just trying to figure out what most others do.
Thanks, P

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 18

We don't leave extra boxes unless the customer requests them (e.g. when they want to save the top tier, which doesn't happen often). I would think most venues would have takeout containers that could be used to send slices home with guests.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 18

BoxES? There shouldn't be that much cake left over if the bride told you the correct amount of servings?

Pebbles1727 Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 18

Yeah, I know. Based on the pictures I saw from the wedding photographer, there is only about 1/4 of bottom tier left after the wedding, which I thought was pretty good. That's not really an issue, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to order me some cake boxes specifically for weddings or just tell the coordinator that I only provide a box for top tier if it is going to be saved (which is basically what I've done up untill this point).

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 18

Part of my consultation is working out how much cake the bride and groom need, and how much will be cut and served to the guests. If they order more cake than they need (as in willingly order more than they need because they want a bigger cake) then of course I provide the right sizes of box(es) for them to take remaining cake home with them. Of course, all clients keeping their top tier also get a box left for it also.

Pebbles1727 Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 18

Well, on wedding coordinator's to do list, that I got, it listed, "left over cake boxed up and placed on the dessert table for guests to take with them after reception."

Pebbles1727 Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:19am
post #11 of 18

Oh the number of cake boxes needed is listed 50. I assumed that it something that wedding coordinator is responsible for as it was not discussed with me.

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Oh the number of cake boxes needed is listed 50. I assumed that it something that wedding coordinator is responsible for as it was not discussed with me.

This is ridiculous. The wedding coordinator is trying to put the leftover cake out as favors, which is kind of an old-fashioned thing to do. If you plan it right, adn if they cut it right, there shouldn't be that much cake left over.

I would tell the coordinator that cake favor boxes aren't included in your price, but if she would like you to shop around for some you can do that and bill her directly for your time and the cost of the boxes. I have NEVER had a reputable coordinator start making demands like that.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:28am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Based on the pictures I saw from the wedding photographer, there is only about 1/4 of bottom tier left after the wedding, which I thought was pretty good.

If they knew what they were doing, they would have served the bottom tier first. If there's going to be any leftover cake, it always easier to deal with the smaller tier(s) for boxing, handling, transporting, and storing.

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:34am
post #14 of 18

This is what the coordinator was talking about. http://www.efavormart.com/4x4x2cakebox-100pc.aspx

I don't think so...I've had a couple of brides use these before, but they've never had me provide them. I'd send the coordinator the link and tell her that's where she can order them. They probably come unassambled, too, so she'll have to fold them all up and put them together icon_biggrin.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:40am
post #15 of 18

I've been asked if i know where to get cake favor boxes. I've never been required to provide them.

As for boxes in general, I usually leave on 8" box just in case. - just being nice, not because I was asked to.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:53am
post #16 of 18

I would never assume to provide little single serve boxes!?!

I DO provide the old-fashioned greaseproof cake bags (little sleeves), ONLY if requested by the bride, at the price it costs me - around $8.00 for 50.

Those little boxes are pricey and should be paid for by the client, not given gratis by the cake decorator!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:01pm
post #17 of 18

I agree with the prior poster. Also, the quantity of boxes that the coordinator requested (50) is outrageous. Does she really expect 50 slices to be left over?? Do not absorb this cost--only do it if the coordinator pays you (in advance!) to purchase them. And I would clarify with the coordinator that the boxes will be delivered to the venue unfolded. To answer your original question, this is NOT the industry standard.

Pebbles1727 Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:04pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you, I have worked it out : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%