What To Buy?

Decorating By cbmyers1982 Updated 24 May 2011 , 2:37pm by cbmyers1982

cbmyers1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbmyers1982 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:32am
post #1 of 4

I am working on expanding my skills into gumpaste and don't want to get to overboard. I was wondering which cutters everybody would recommend for beginners? Also, which ones are used most often. I am sure that I don't need to jump right out there and purchase a fern cutter but am guessing a rose one would be a good investment. I have purchased a couple packages of Wilton gumpaste so that I can get the feel of gumpaste before I make my own and am wondering what everybody else uses? Lastly where do you recommend purchasing cutters from? TIA for everybody's infamous wisdom. CC has been a huge learning tool for me!

3 replies
BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:43am
post #2 of 4

After years of doing only buttercream flowers I too am "catching up with the times" and expanding into sugar flowers. One of the most inspiring tools I have is Jennifer Dontz's DVD "Sensational Sugar Flowers." In it Jennifer not only gives clear, concise instructions, but provides a list of every tool needed to make beautiful roses.

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd004

I did not realize until after I had ordered the DVD that she also offers it in a bundle which includes not only the DVD, but all the tools needed. I am going to be ordering the tools separately, but it would have likely been easier and cheaper in shipping had I got them all together.

Like you, I figure once I master the rose, I'll be ready to expand into lots of other sugar flowers. Good luck in learning your new skill! thumbs_up.gif

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:58am
post #3 of 4

There are two places that offer a 10% discount to Cake Central members. All you do is put cake central as the coupon code. Both websites have many cutters. The websites are oasis supply. com and f o n d a n t s o u r c e . com with out the spaces. Fondant S ou rce is sometimes out of supplies but if you call or email them they can tell you when they will have it in stock or if they have it in stock but just haven't updated the website.

There are also many videos on youtube by Tonedna, and a few others that are great.

Hth,
Cecilia

cbmyers1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbmyers1982 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you ladies for the advice. Can't wait to check out the resources provided.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%