Heading To San Francisco Tomorrow...first Time!

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 31 May 2011 , 6:55pm by imagenthatnj

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 16

I am sure there are some wonderful bakeries. Can anyone recommend a "must stop" spot in San Francisco for cupcakes or cakes?

Thanks!

15 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:13am
post #2 of 16

Hello! Welcome to SF!

I'd say ME but I'm on maternity icon_biggrin.gif

The city is big and hard to get around so it's hard to say without knowing where you are going to be, but I assume you'll be in touristville (i.e. Union Square, Pier 39 etc.). Kara's cupcakes is very popular and pretty good, there's a shop in Ghiradhelli Square and in the Marina, if you are in the Financial District you might see the KaraVan (her food truck) and can get one.

Of course there's world famous Tartine in the Mission, super yum bread/cakes.

Off the beaten path is Pinkies in SOMA, Ambrosia in Lakeside, and Zanzie's in Inglewood Terrace for the best cheesecake.

It's all about the food trucks here now though, so if you can hit any Off The Grid events, especially the one Friday nights at Fort Mason (google it) you get some of the YUMMIEST stuff - like the Creme Brule Cart (he's on twitter and posts his locations in addition to being at OtG).

Have fun!

Jen

KeltoKel Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:46am
post #3 of 16

Thanks so much, Jen. We will be staying at the Hilton near the wharf so we will be right in the action. Good luck with the baby!

KeltoKel Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 16

Tried a chocolate with salted caramel icing from Cako last night. It was very good. Their icing is like butter, literally.

FromScratchSF Posted 28 May 2011 , 12:56am
post #5 of 16

huh. i am not a fan, they get really low reviews here - seriously try kara's, voted best in the city year after year.

hope you are having fun!

jen

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:06am
post #6 of 16

If your interested in going to any good cake decorator supply stores across the bay (in Berkeley on the other side of the Bay Bridge) or San Rafael (across the Golden Gate Bridge) PM me. I know of two great places. Have fun. The weather is great, but expected to be realy windy.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 16

I have heard a lot about Salted Caramel recently. the icing being like butter? Do you mean the texture? when it is soft, but not melted or smooth or both? it sounds really yummy.

KeltoKel Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 16

The icing was smooth and you could taste the butter in it. Very rich.

Also tried Kara's cupcakes. Had some kind of dark chocolate one and a lemon one. Both were good. Kara's icing was more stiff and her chocolate was like a ganach. It had a rich, deep, chocolate taste.

Can't say that Kara's was any better than Cako's. Enjoyed them both just the same.

Have to say that the salted caramel from Cako's is the one that sticks out in my mind.

Kara's chocolate cupcake also had a salted taste to it as well. I must say that the salted icing (sweet and salty taste) is very, very good. I must try this at home!

Enjoyed San Francisco immensely.

KeltoKel Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 16

Also, as for reviews - Cako's has 3 1/2 stars on YELP and Kara's has 4 star (out of 5 total). Wouldn't say Cako's is "really low."

FromScratchSF Posted 30 May 2011 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

Also, as for reviews - Cako's has 3 1/2 stars on YELP and Kara's has 4 star (out of 5 total). Wouldn't say Cako's is "really low."

i don't get too into my personal feelings when reviewing specifics of my local competition, i will only say that when that the japantown location had not so great yelp reviews from the locals, but i see their rating has been raised a bit, in part due to a lot of tourist reviews from the new union square location. or maybe they improved some of the recipes since then? anyway, glad you had a great time!

jen

jules5000 Posted 31 May 2011 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 16

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is YELP?

I recently came across a recipe for Salted Caramel and I love the salty/sweet thing going on in things. Will have to try it.

I am glad that you had a great time in San Francisco.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 16

Jules5000

What is Yelp?
Yelp is an online urban city guide that helps people find cool places to eat, shop, drink, relax and play, based on the informed opinions of a vibrant and active community of locals in the know. Yelp is the fun and easy way to find, review and talk about what's great and not so great in your world.

Who uses Yelp?
You'll find a wide range of people on Yelp, including locals who are "in the know" about what's cool and happening in their city, visitors who want to get an insider's local perspective, and anyone trying to find a great local business.

jules5000 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you for your response. and also is it just yelp.com? How do I get there? also I guess that you put the location in that you want to know about? Thank you again.

imagenthatnj Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 16

It knows I'm at a computer in NY. lol

Crazy.

http://www.yelp.com/nyc

Just type your city in the Search line.

jules5000 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you imaginethatnj, I appreciate your helpfulness and speediness.

One other question, you mentioned that you were in NY. does that mean you live there and in what part of NY? I know that may seem a stupid question, but I have learned that you can't assume stuff. I still do, but I am working on it.

imagenthatnj Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 16

I work here, so I spend most of my time in the city. Beautiful New York City.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%