Buttercream Recipe Help!!!!

Baking By RebecaR Updated 24 May 2011 , 2:56pm by RebecaR

RebecaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebecaR Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone, I have made buttercream before but I used Crisco shortening and I was unhappy with the greasy feel it left after you eat it. I have heard about High Ratio Shortening but I don't know where I can purchase it. icon_redface.gif I live in the San Francisco bay area and would greatly appreciate it if someone could let me know where I could purchase high ratio shortening.

13 replies
asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 14

you can go to a bakery store and see if the have it. I just went to a cake supply store and purchased a 3lb tub. I know they don't ship when it starts getting warm b/c of melting issues.

I love hi-ratio shorterning, it makes the frosting so much better.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 14

I only use butter in my buttercream. If you want the recipe I'll be glad to give it to you.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 14

I've used High Ratio Shortening before and loved it. I wish I could remember what site I ordered it from. I just remember I ordered 50lb.

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 14

The buttercream I use is equal parts butter to shortening. I've used Crisco and then read on this site about hi-ratio shortening.

I found a site, but can't remember which one, and only ordered about 2 lbs as a trial. I honestly can say, I didn't notice a difference between the Crisco and hi-ratio shortening.

What I do is put the butter and Crisco in the mixer, turn in on med/high speed, and walk away. I let it whip for several minutes, sometimes over 5 min. It will turn almost white if you let it go long enough.

That seems to take away the greesy after taste.

Janette Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 14

Here is the recipe I use:

2 cups butter
2 cups crisco
4 tsp vanilla
2 tsp almond flavor (or your choice)
1/4 cup flour
4 Tlb milk

The flour seems to cut the sweetnes down. You may want to cut in 1/2 makes a lot.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 14

I use only Crisco and it never taste greasy or leaves a greasy feel in the mouth.

1 1/3 cups Crisco
2 Tbls. clear Vanilla
2 Tsps. Creme Bouquet
2 lbs powdered sugar
about 1/2 cup milk

Mix Crisco, vanilla, creme bouquet and 1/4 cup milk until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add half the powdered sugar and mix on low until incorporated, then beat on medium until creamy. Add a little milk if necessary. Add other half of powdered sugar and mix on low, adding a little milk if necessary. Beat on medium until smooth. You may not need all the milk, I just kind of eye-ball it.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:13am
post #8 of 14

Best BC recipe and techniques ever:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=713347&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

She uses meringue powder to make up for the transfats! I've used this recipe for 4 cakes and fell so in love I changed the recipe my shop has used for 4 years to this one!!!!!

Janette Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:16am
post #9 of 14

I will have to try the Meringue Powder. I've used Creme Bouquet before and liked the flavor.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:22am
post #10 of 14

I've been thinking of trying it with the meringue powder, now I definitely will. Thanks!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #11 of 14

Definitely give it a try, its gourmetcakes technique, check her cakes out and I bet you too will be ready to switch!! Amazing!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:52am
post #12 of 14

You can't get the usual hi ratio in California. If I remember correctly, you have to get the Sweetex Z.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #13 of 14

You can get the high-ratio at Roz's sweet art studio in Oceanside, ca. That is the closest I can think of to order it online or go to San Deigo to get it. She ALWAYS has it available. Her website is "Roz's sweet art shop"..Ck it out! It will save you on shipping costs due to being California already, or if you take a trip down..buy bulk amount. Roz is soo sweet and great to talk to on phone too! Very helpful..I miss that place,,I got all of my supplies mostly there vs ordering online..

Best of luck and if you get anything there at all,,tell them Jenifer Ramirez referred you..she will remember me maybe..we talked a lot together..

Jen

RebecaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebecaR Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you all very much for your wonderful help!!!!!! icon_smile.gif I greatly appreciate it!!!! I'll be sure to give the recipes a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%