Denim Look

Decorating By Sweet_Auburn Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 3:05pm by Kitagrl

Sweet_Auburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Auburn Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 9

I am thinking about making a square cake (9") and frosting it to look like blue jean material. I then want to design a "pocket" on it with three rose buds sticking out of the pocket. My main question is how to get the worn denim look. A friend suggested dry brushing lighter blue/grey/white over the darker blue color. I don't know how to do white. I've read that some people use thinned white icing. I presume that would be white butter cream?

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 9

I sponged a darker navy over a lighter blue fondant.... I have a denim jean cake further back in my photo album....

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 9

Found her pic! That cake is hilarious!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1467726

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 9
Sweet_Auburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Auburn Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 9

The icing I use needs to be butter cream as the base. I can use royal icing to make flowers and such if i want but the cake has to have butter cream icing. This is for my final project cake in the wilton class for flowers. I haven't done the fondant course yet. Could I use a large blush brush and do dark and light blue over white? Or would it be better doing dark blue icing and use thinned frosting? Or will this look not work with butter cream at all...?

I can't remember who posted the pic but that's not the pic I was referring to. It's not a pic of a cake... it's actually a pic of the back of a pair of jeans .. focusing on the pocket and there's three rose buds in it.

Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 9

Yeah you should be able to do like a light blue buttercream...chill it firm...and then sponge a dark navy buttercream over top of it, like sponge painting...blotting...whatever. Maybe even with a wadded up paper towel.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 6:17am
post #8 of 9

Kitagrl that denim cake was awesome.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Kitagrl that denim cake was awesome.

hahaha thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%