Refrigerate A Cake Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By ToTheMax Updated 23 May 2011 , 3:55pm by ToTheMax

ToTheMax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToTheMax Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 7

I'm concerned. I've read in several decorating books not to refrigerate a cake once it is covered in fondant. Some say it will last two days w/o the fridge. I will be working on a three tiered cake with several gumpaste/fondant decorations. While much is done in advance we all know it takes hours to complete. Once finished I won't be delivering the cake until the following day. How long can it stay out at room temperature? It will have buttercream/fruit filling and crumb coat. Your help will be greatly appreciated..

6 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 7

I have done this, the fondant sweats when it comes to room temperature, but then it was fine, I usually dont do it though because of this. I have read if you place it in a box then the fridge it keeps it from doing this, never tried it.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

I put mine in the fridge sometimes. I use Massa fondant and it doesn't sweat. I've never had a problem.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 7

I just did a cake this weekend and had the same question. Mine was a two tiered cake for my Goddaughter's baptism. The mistake I made was to freeze my top layers and cover it in buttercream and the fondant before the cakes came to room temp. I did the opposite with the bottom layer. The cake was in the refrigerator for a whole day prior to the party. I did have the problem with only the top layer sweating. The bottom layer didn't sweat at all. The sweating doesn't ruin the cake, but I covered my cake with plastic wrap when delivering and the plastic stuck to part of the cake and made a little crease in the fondant. No one else noticed this, but I did and it bothered me. I was just thankful this cake was for family. It still looked good, but every cake is a learning experience, I guess.

I have left fondant covered cakes in the fridge in the past which were covered with fondant at room temp and had no problem with them sweating. In my experience, the cake being in a box would make no difference. By the way, I used Satin Ice fondant.

Hope this helps.

BelaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BelaB Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 7

I have done several cakes covered in fondant with a perishable filling so I had to refrigerate. The cake was perfect every time.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 7

icon_smile.gif How about if is Wet with Simple Syrup. How long would it last and it's cover in Fondant. Thanks for your respond.... thumbs_up.gif Good day...

ToTheMax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToTheMax Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks all. I was VERY worried. I've put smaller ones in but for short time This is a big order with more firdge time. I use satin ice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%