Not The Cake I Wanted?

Decorating By lorenaortegarox Updated 22 May 2011 , 7:46pm by LKing12

lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 4

so today i had a pickup for a flower cake someone had seen on my website and i sent her another picture of a cake that i thought had a nicer color scheme, i meant to say that it was gonna be the same cake she liked with this new color scheme but i just said... "isnt this one nice?", she exclaimed how much she loved it and we agreed on a price (what i normally charge for a small cake).
the original cake was one tiered, square and small, the cake i sent her was 2 tiered and would probably feed double the first order.
when she came to pick it up she asked where the second tier was.. i explained i meant the color scheme not the exact cake. she understood it was a misunderstanding that can occur when placing an order, she paid me (what i would charge for a one tiered cake to feed 40 people, not 70) but now i feel horrible that i didnt meet her expectations.
what do i do?

3 replies
Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 4

You've got her email, so it might not hurt to send a follow up - "sorry again" - but really I don't think it's a huge deal. I think surely we've all made odd little mistakes like this that make us cringe, but I wouldn't give that one much energy. She got a nice cake, that met her needs.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 4

I know if I was the woman I would have been so excited thinking you were going to do that cake for me, thinking it was the same price we had agreed on. And, yes I would have been so disappointed when I picked it up. Then I would have felt stupid for not understanding correctly.

If I received an e-mail from you saying you were sorry there was a mis-understanding in communication I would think how nice of you to follow up. There are not enough people out there that care how someone may feel.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 4

This is why I do not do all of my communication through emails. I type what I think I am thinking but that is not how the other person is reading my email.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%