Buttercream Air Bubbles! Not Happy!!

Baking By jlien23 Updated 23 May 2011 , 1:18am by jlien23

jlien23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlien23 Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 9

Any suggestions/help/tips on how to get rid of those darn air bubbles in my buttercream?? I really am aware of not over mixing and I TRY not to but how can you incorporate all the powdered sugar and liquid and not mix?? I am a beginner and I just started having these problems since I switched to using a high ratio shortening in my bc. I was so unhappy with a cake I did yesterday because of the air bubbles and I worked so hard on this cake. It was for a bridal shower and had a fondant wedding dress on it and I was just so proud of myself for doing that on only my second time working with fondant. But then I had the air bubbles and for the life of me could not smooth the bc. UNHAPPY! HELP!? I posted the pic in this thread. Thanks for looking/sharing with me!

8 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 9

The posting pics doesn't work in CC anymore so it's usually easier if you post the pics to your photos and then include a link.

The best trick to getting air bubbles out of buttercream is from SugarShack. It has to do with making sure your mixer isn't incorporating more air. I follow her recipe and instructions and I let that mixer go for 6 or 7 minutes so it's not the mixing time.

The trick is to get the buttercream over the beaters for the duration of the mixing. Are you using a stand up mixer? If so it's pretty easy to do but you have to adjust your recipe to fill the bowl. There are several version of Sugarshack's recipe in the recipe section based on the size of mixer you have. Also I find that if I don't add enough liquid I get more air bubbles that way.

I've been recommending this DVD a lot this weekend because we seem to have lots of new people joining us but if you're looking for great tips on smoothing buttercream etc you should check out Sugar Shack's DVD "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream". You can order it at www.sugaredproductions.com and it will teach not only how to make the buttercream but how to smooth it and get great sharp edges.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 9

......I really am aware of not over mixing........

That just may be the problem itselficon_smile.gif
Wilton has soooo ingrained in our brains that one should mix just till incorporated. But I have found that mixing on low speed for as much as 10 minutes can produce a smooth, wonderful b'cream. I found this out accidently once when I got called away from the mixer and it took much longer than expected. When I did get back I found such a smooth perfect icing I started 'overmixing' all the timeicon_smile.gif

Other tips include: being sure to make enough icing that the bowl is full - the beaters are completely covered w/icing. Using low speed when mixing.

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

i find that after it runs through the mixer, running the spatula through it by hand for a while will help get rid of the air bubbles, you can actually see them smooth out when you do it by hand too

jlien23 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you sillywabbitz! I will check that out for sure. Yes, I do use a stand up mixer, 5 quart size. I have to say...my bc never ever covers my beaters! I only do one 3C recipe at a time but it usually takes forever and then I am unhappy with the results! Thank you for the tip. Would you follow the Sugarshack recipe to the T? I have read that it is too soft??

I just realized you cannot post pics in the forum. I did add it to my cake pics photo gallery...I will try to add a link.

jlien23 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 9
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 9

Jlen,
I also have a 5 quart mixer so I use the recipe that uses 4 pounds of powdered sugar and that works great for me. I don't follow the recipe to the T as far as the liquid goes because the brand of shortening and humidity effect the necessary amount of liquid. I do use hi-ratio but I don't have access to Sweetex so I usually use less liquid than recommended. Her recipe is 'soft' by wilton standards but actually that's what I love about it. It is so easy to work with and doesn't actually get crusty so the mouth feel and look is always smooth. If I need to thicken it for a dam or something I just add more powdered sugar.

Most important the buttercream freezes beautifully. I make the big batch. I use what I need then place the BC on a piece of Saran wrap in 1 or 2 cup increments. Wrap them up then put then in a zip lock freezer bag and pop them in the freezer. When it's time for my next cake, my frosting is ready to go. I thaw the BC in the Saran on the counter, snip off the end and drop it into my piping bag. It's fast and clean.

Magneto66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magneto66 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 9

I use a combination of BC recipes provided by SugarShack and Earlene Moore. I have been using cream cheese buttercream for quite some time and my customers love it. SugarShack gives great tips on how to mix the buttercream and avoid the air bubbles. I also let my BC mix in my stand mixer longer at low speed because it does enhance the smoothness of the icing.

jlien23 Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:18am
post #9 of 9

Thank you for all the wonderful advice everyone! I am excited to try all these techniques on my next bc cake! I will be checking out Sugarshack right now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%