Is Something Wrong With My Fondant?

Decorating By cookiedoescakes Updated 22 May 2011 , 6:29pm by cookiedoescakes

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:39am
post #1 of 5

Tonight I used satin ice and sometimes I use MMf, and I have noticed that when smoothing my fondant smothers stick. I have one from wilton and one from fat daddios. what is happening . can someone tell me what is happening?

4 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:59am
post #2 of 5

Is it humid where you are? That can make fondant sticky. Also putting fondant onto a cake straight out of the fridge can result in stickyness. Are you using cornstarch or powdered sugar to roll? If so, I find that patting the fondant smoother into the cornstarch before smoothing helps as well.

cookiedoescakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:08am
post #3 of 5

It doesnt seem too humid here right now but I guess that could be the cause. Im not sure what to do about it. I did put some cornstrarch on the smoother but it didnt seem to work.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:22am
post #4 of 5

Are you using white fondant? If so, get a good amount of cornstarch and rub it lightly all over the cake and try then. The fondant needs to be quite dry. If your fondant is coloured, try a small amount to start with, and see how it goes. You can rub the cornstarch off later with shortening, apparently. I've always found that just smoothing the cake gets most of it off.

cookiedoescakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the cornstarch tip. If this happens again I will use the trick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%