"gluing" Cake To Cakeboard

Decorating By sweet56pooh Updated 20 May 2011 , 9:40pm by sweet56pooh

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! I decided to try and use clear contact paper to cover my cake board for the first time. I put a blob of BC and put my cake on the board. Now my cake is slipping and sliding. What do you use to "glue" your cake to the board when using contact paper? TIA!!

8 replies
LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

I use melted chocolate to attach cakeboards when I place them on the cake plate or drum. I dont know about contact paper though...you might want to test it somehow.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 9

I use a hot glue gun! If it's only in the center and not near the cake it does not have to be edible. I have also heard of people using double sided carpet tape.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 9

I've used packing tape (folded over to make it "double sided"), hot glue and buttercream. I don't use contact paper though I use the FDA approved cello wrap from Michael's. Even with buttercream I haven't had it slide. I think I may use chocolate next time. Chocolate is my new favorite glue for EVERYTHING!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 9

why not use hot glue in several places on the contact paper and put down a cake board that is the exact dimensions of the cake(nothing showing out side of the cake) Than use another cake board that is the exact dimensions also and glue that to the previous one with a big blob of icing. Of course this time you will have the cake on it so you will have to make sure that they are lined up with each other exactly. But the icing will glue the boards together. you are going to be putting a border on the bottom of the cake anyway so there really should be no reason that a double layer of cardboard would be a problem. and if you do not want to try to line them up with the cake on the second board then Ice the two together and give them some time to rest and then put a big blob of icing on the top board and put the cake on it and ice from there. Good luck. let us all know what works. please. I would be interested.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet56pooh

Hi everyone! I decided to try and use clear contact paper to cover my cake board for the first time. I put a blob of BC and put my cake on the board.

I hope your cake was on its own board before attaching to the Contact Paper base board. Contact Paper is not food safe.

cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 9

I always put a cardboard cake board under my cakes. Then I "glue" the cake to the final cake board with piping gel. I also use the piping gel to "glue" my fondant decorations to the cake too.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 9

I buy rolls of thin rubberized no-skid pad stuff that you put under area rugs to keep them from sliding around. I just cut a small square to place between the cake board and the cake (which is on a cardboard circle) so it never touches the cake itself. that cake ain't goin' nowhere. I will also use a square of this same stuff under the board when transporting so it doesn't slide around in the back of my car.

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I have my cake on it's own board. The cake is not touching the contact paper. I used double sided tape and so far it's holding up. Thanks again everyone! I just love this site!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%