Best Work Surface ?

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 21 May 2011 , 8:12am by scp1127

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to buy a new kitchen table. My counters are not the type that I can roll out fondant etc directly on the counter, so I'm wondering what would be the best work surface that will also work as a regular kitchen table.

It will be square. I know marble is ideal but I don't know if they make marble top tables and that seems really heavy

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 10

Granite is nice. But if you end up with a wooden table top
just buy a nice silicone mat and you can then roll on any
flat surface

sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 10

I think I meant granite instead of marbleicon_smile.gif I use the mat approach with my kitchen table now so that is definately an option. Just trying to come up with some options.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 10

I have corain counter tops that work great to roll on but not so
great to cut anything on. I have a granite island that came as
a prefab piece of furniture which works like a dream.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 10

NOT glass! That's what I have. Maybe it's just me but I can't roll fondant on it for anything, it sticks like crazy.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 10

So looks like granite is the best. I'll look for a kitchen table with a granite top thenicon_smile.gif thanks!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 10

I purchased a stainless steel work table at a local restaurant supply store. I am tall so I like the height. I re-arranged my breakfast nook and have it on side - it is 72" by 30". Perfect for rolling out most fondant sizes. I like that fact that it is easy to disassemble if I ever decide to move.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 10

I'd recommend trying your rolling process on someone else's granite surface before you commit. Granite stays cold and cools down your fondant as you roll it. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it is bad. Also, granite is porus and not sanitary-grade. An alternative would be an engineered stone surface, such as Silestone or Cambria, which are not porous. I have Silestone counters (never have to be sealed, sanitary) - but I prefer to roll my fondant on my Ateco mat - which I couldn't live without - on top of my cherry wood chopping block (no slip).

If you want sanitary - stainless is the ultimate.

sillywabbitz Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:56am
post #9 of 10

Ycknits, thank you so much. I had thought about stainless but this is going to be our regular kitchen table so I don't know how that would work out. I didn't realize granite was pourous. If that's the case I may just get a regular table and stick with mats.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:12am
post #10 of 10

Marble and granite are approved surfaces for our HD and will meet FDA approval. Marble is the surface of choice for many pastry applications. A suggestion... buy a table that you want and have the top replaced by a granite company. You can even buy a used table with a base you like. That size is perfect for getting a great deal on a remnant. And don't take their first price as their final price. You can also start by asking on which piece they can make the best deal.

Occther, I love my 72 x 30's. They are such a perfect size for a work station.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%