Sticky Cake Top

Baking By MollyHammond Updated 20 May 2011 , 8:28pm by MollyHammond

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 5

I baked a cake and I tested to see if it was done. As it cooled I noticed the top of the cake was sticky. I torted it and the middle was fine. Any suggestions as to what is wrong with my cake?
Thanks,
Molly

4 replies
HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 5

I find that when it's humid my cakes get sticky on top, I'm guessing that's probably what happened with your cake? What is particularly humid when your cake was cooling? I notice it the most on my vanilla cake, which is a really moist recipe, I think that combined with the the moisture from the air give the sticky top. I just trim it off... and I usually cool my cakes on parchment paper (on top of the cooling rack), just to make sure the bottoms don't stick the rack.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 5

Yep, moisture. That's what happens when you put a not completely cooled cake in a sealed container too, but don't ask how I know that! icon_surprised.gif)

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 5

That happens to me all the time with my chocolate cake recipe and I always completely cool. It is a very moist cake, so I think this is why. My vanilla recipe cools to a crisper 'crust' on top and tends to be not as moist as my chocolate cake. I think it's just an indication of moistness or maybe because of the oil added (as my vanilla recipe uses butter). As long as you know the inside is done (by torting), then I wouldn't worry about it. If I don't have to level a cake, I'll put the sticky side down on the board because it does keep the cake from sliding! LOL

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 20 May 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all that responded. I am in Indy and it hasn't been humid here yet just waiting for that but I do know that my cakes are really moist so I will just work with it. Again, thanks for sharing.
Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%