Large 5 Petal Rose Tutorial

Decorating By superstar Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm by Rosie2

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 20 May 2011 , 4:18am
post #1 of 26

Does anyone have that fantastic tutorial by Franjmc (Fran McGregor) that we were once able to get from Louise (Cake Journal) It was apparantly corrupted at some point & is no longer available. I would be so grateful if someone could post it or have one equaly as good. It was truly amazing. I just want to refresh my memory. These days I always need to have my memory refreshed! icon_wink.gif

25 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:39am
post #3 of 26

Here it is...

Pt. 1:

HamSquad Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 26

FlourPots thanks so much for posting this. I haven't seen this one in a long time. I had forgotten about this one and didn't remember her name. Best Wishes. I will certainly Book Mark it this time.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Here it is...

Pt. 1:

Thank you for the wonderfull videos
I have a question though does the styrofoam have to be egg shaped/oval or is it ok to use round ones as well??

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 26

Cupcations- she says at the beginning you can use a round shape

HamSquad Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 26

The styrofoam ball can be round or oval like an egg. I mainly use a cone shape to get a more realistic looking center to hold that 1st petal. Experiment, see what happens. If you have a stiff enough gum paste, it should hold. Best Wishes.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 May 2011 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 26

You don't even have to use a styrofoam ball. You can make a regular gumpaste cone, as long as you have time for it to dry. You can also use lollipops as centers but go really easy on the gum glue if you do that, or it will melt the lollipop and drip out the center.

FlourPots Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 26

I've never made a rose, though I've watched the videos a million times...

Is it true that some people use a chocolate kiss for the center?

HamSquad Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 26

Wow, ok, I learning more, Texas_Rose, never thought of using that. I mainly, use gum paste, or gumpaste mixed with fondant or fondant mixed with Gum-Tex to form the cone shape and let it dry for 24 hr period. I glue with fondant glue onto toothpicks or skewers when I put the roses on cakes. For "I need a cake tomorrow" the styrofoam is used. I really try to limit being ask for " I need a cake tomorrow" situations. (LOL)! I make my gumpaste from scratch with the recipe using Gum-Tex. I really would like to try a different recipe. Best Wishes, I'm rambling icon_lol.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 20 May 2011 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnnPriest

Cupcations- she says at the beginning you can use a round shape

Lol sorry I watched it once I gues I didnt hear that part icon_confused.gif

Thanks everyone for the usefull tips thumbs_up.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #12 of 26

hamsquad, I have a question for you. I have watched the video of making your own gumpaste twice and have the stuff to do it, but she never says how much tylose she is using. I know that the little bowls she is using to hold it hold about 1/2 cup, but I would really like to know a little closer than just guessing. It doesn't totally come to the top so it is hard to know.Have you made gumpaste using her recipe or would you know what the ratio should be. She said that she uses 4 egg whites and 2lb. powdered sugar, but never says how much tylose. I have the rest of the directions written down. It seems to be a very helpful site with more than just one flower and the recipe. TIA. icon_smile.gif

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:56am
post #13 of 26

Jules5000, when I make mine, I use 1/2 pound of fondant mixed with 1 teaspoon of Tylose. HTH

superstar Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:01am
post #14 of 26

Oh thank you so very much FlourPots, I am so grateful, I knew someone on CC would save me.

I have made these roses many times but I always like to watch the video a few times before making them.We used round styrafoam balls when superstar2 & I made my grandson's wedding cake. You can see the cake on her pictures. I like using the foam because the whole rose is much lighter than when a gumpaste cone is used. Thanks again.

HamSquad Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:08am
post #15 of 26

Jules5000 are you looking at the tutorial by aine2? She is using 2lbs(1 Kilo) of fondant splitting it into 4 parts. Each 1/4(250 grams) might be about 9ozs. She adds 1/2 teaspoon to the 9oz section and knead it in real well.
If this is the correct youtube she has a website: Extra Icing.
Hope this Helps. Best Wishes

FlourPots Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:33am
post #16 of 26

You're welcome superstar & HamSquad icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:11pm
post #17 of 26

She said that she used 2lb. powdered sugar and 4 eggwhites and tylose, but did not give the amount of the tylose. I watched the video at least twice and she never said anything about using fondant with it. She said that this was to make homemade gumpaste and I watched her put it in the mixer as she spoke and there was no fondant mentioned and I never saw her put any in. She just did not give the amount of tylose. It was the first website given for this forum and it was like the 2nd video that came on after the roses. So I do not remember the name.

HamSquad Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:42pm
post #18 of 26

Jules5000 Is it this gum paste recipe?:
4 Tablespoons Tylose
2lbs powder sugar - reserve 1 cup
4 egg whites
Shortening for hands when kneading

Look to the bottom of the tutotial, it gives the amount of tylose.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 21 May 2011 , 6:02pm
post #19 of 26

Thanks for all the help

jules5000 Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:00pm
post #20 of 26

that certainly looks like that could be it. thanks Hamsquad. I want to try that out for sure. I love the fact that a99.5% of the people on here are absolutely wonderful and so helpful. It is probably higher than that as I really have only run into maybe two people that were not easy to work with or did not respond nicely to a comment I made either on their individual cake or on here. But they just misunderstood the comment. It certainly was not made to offend. I will have to go check out the tutorial again because I never saw a recipe. Love y'all.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 May 2011 , 10:26pm
post #21 of 26

You know that JenniferMI has a video out on how to do that rose -- and hers is simply stunning! Award winning in fact. Check it out! icon_biggrin.gif

jules5000 Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:32am
post #22 of 26

Jennifer has a lot of toys and VIdeos that I would like to get. I have one of hers. I have watched it several times.

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:37am
post #23 of 26

hershey kisses for center of roses.... sounds great has anyone tried it

superstar Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:41am
post #24 of 26

I have that DVD of Jennifer's & like all Jen's DVD's & work it is excellent, but I really love Fran's video, it is so detailed.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:10pm
post #25 of 26

Don't let sugar flowers intimidate you. They really are fun and can be easy as well. Especially with all the learning sources we have today.

If I can help anyone, just let me know.

Sweet regards,

Jennifer Dontz icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #26 of 26

This is great info. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%