Swirl Drop Flower

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 20 May 2011 , 3:28pm by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 20 May 2011 , 2:47am
post #1 of 6

I learned the Swirl drop Flower on Tuesday, and I'm really having trouble with it. I don't have wrist problems, but on the Drop Swirl Flower it hurts my hand to do it. I don't know if I'm getting my icing too thick, or what it is.I've practiced them today, and I get about one out of 20 right. I really like those little flowers, but I feel stuck without it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 May 2011 , 2:55am
post #2 of 6

It may just be the trouble........icing too thick. Try adding just another teaspoon or two of liquid or piping gel to your icing .
Here's a trick to help you. I usually would make dozens at a time so I use a cookie sheet with no sides, lightly tape a piece of plastic wrap to it and theniInstead of twisting your wrist, twist the cookies sheet icon_smile.gif

Rhonlynn Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #3 of 6

Wow, that's a good idea!!!!!! I love this little flower. I feel so stuck! I'll try piping gel, and try moving the cookie sheet.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 6

Which way are you doing your hand? Are you turning your knuckles to the left (assuming you are right handed) before you start piping? Or are you turning your wrist to the right after you start piping?

I find it more comfortable to turn my knuckles to the left before I start piping. You are also only turning it a 1/4th of a turn.

Can you do the star drop flower okay with it? If so, then it may be not the consistency.

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It may just be the trouble........icing too thick. Try adding just another teaspoon or two of liquid or piping gel to your icing .
Here's a trick to help you. I usually would make dozens at a time so I use a cookie sheet with no sides, lightly tape a piece of plastic wrap to it and theniInstead of twisting your wrist, twist the cookies sheet icon_smile.gif

That's an excellent idea!

Rhonlynn Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 6

I do the star flower fine, but when I made this new batch of frosting, I couldn't do the drop swirl flower. I'll work with it again tonight. I will make sure I thin my frosting a bit, and work on my knuckle turns. I'm right handed. She had us turn our knuckles before we started the flower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%